Yes, I'm back

I've taken quite a hiatus from blogging.  But I was thinking this morning (as the kids screamed around the house while Max and Ruby warbled in the background) what a shame it is that I've kept this blog for five years and I've kind of just let it go.

I guess we all need a break now and then - and I've had that break.  Time to get back to it.

Besides, this summer has brought about huge changes in my life.  Some of them have been personal, some have been professional.  I guess you could say this truly has been the summer of change for me and my family.

Before anyone starts wondering what terrible thing has happened, let me assure you, it's all good.  And there are times when change can be very good.

I'm not sure where to even start - I suppose April is a good place.

I went to the doctor in April.  I was feeling run down.  Tired all the time.  No energy.  I just didn't feel good.  A thought lingered in the back of my mind: I was afraid I was developing type 2 diabetes.  After all, I was in my 40s, I was overweight, and diabetes runs rampant on my mom's side of the family (including my mom). 

My doc ran several tests including a glycosylated hemoglobin, which tracks one's average blood glucose level over several months.  It checked out fine (to my relief).

So I left the doctor's office with the comfort of knowing I was not developing diabetes, but I still didn't feel any better.

I thought about it for the next couple weeks and I finally pinpointed the problem.

When I graduated from high school I was 210 pounds.  That was 24 years ago.  Let's just say years of not caring what I stuffed in my pie hole had taken its toll, and at my heaviest, I lived between 262 and 272 pounds. 

I had never in my life made an attempt to lose weight.  But the time had come.  I had to do something.  Not just lose weight, but totally "reprogram" the way I thought about food.

I read a blog entry by an old schoolmate of mine who lost a lot of weight by counting calories.  That seemed like a logical way of going about it, so I found a free iPhone app from MyFitnessPal.com to help me do just that.

My wonderful wife immediately joined me in the journey.  We would do this together. 

My goal was realistic: to lose 30 pounds.  My app calculated my calorie allotment based on my current weight, age and weight goal.

I quickly learned what a "normal" serving was.  And I thought I was going to frickin' starve to death.

But the weeks went on.  And I got used to what was truly a "normal" serving of food - and not a "Sam" serving.  I learned how many calories were in a normal serving compared to how much I used to eat.

More than anything, I learned to discipline myself.  No snacks.  No extras.  No cheating.  I was committed.

The only little twist I added to this lifestyle change (I do not call it a diet, because I still ate what I wanted, just not as much) is that I did not count fruits or vegetables against my calorie intake for each day.  I figured if they were "free" I might eat more of both.

I was right.

In fact, I find myself now actually craving an apple or an orange rather than a bowl of ice cream.  Believe it or not.  (Really, I'm serious).

Better yet, my kids actually eat fruit now.  Believe me, that's a big deal!

I also decided not to obsess with the scales.  I decided to weigh myself twice a month.  No more.

I allowed myself "free" days.  Days when I didn't count calories and just ate what I wanted.  But I knew my lifestyle change was working when, on those free days, I thought about what I was eating before stuffing it in my face.

The keystone to this whole learning process is this: it's not about what you eat, it's about HOW MUCH you eat.  Portion size is the key.  And it is something we Americans have no concept of in our Super Size society.

Long story short, since our journey started almost three months ago, Beth has lost more than 20 pounds.

My weight this morning was 214 pounds, which means I've lost a 40 pound sack of potatoes I've been carrying around for years.  In fact, I'm just four pounds shy of my weight when I graduated from high school. 

I even have a little bounce in my step again.

The only problem is my clothes no longer fit me.  But it's a good problem to have.

I only mention this weight loss journey here because I'm proof that it can be done.  And I did it without paying membership to Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig or NutriSystems.  You simply need two things: desire to lose and discipline to do it.  You don't need an expensive program.

It can be done.


Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!