Yes, I'm Thankful

We are nearing Thanksgiving.  The madness of the Christmas rush is just a few days away.  The snow is here to stay.  The cold is unforgiving.  The sun sets around 4:30 PM.  Vitamin D is at a premium.

Our first snowmen of the year.  Actually, they more of a dirt/snow hybrid.  Probably some dog crap in there, too.
We are approaching that time of year where sun and sandals can only be found in distant lands, thousands of miles away.  Blech.

Still, it is important to keep your focus on the goodness of life.  A couple of situations involving friends and family over the past few weeks have reminded me to never take life -- or happiness -- for granted.

Don't take your health for granted.

Don't take your relationships for granted.

Don't take tomorrow for granted.

I know that's all easily said.  It's much more difficult to practice, especially if things are going well for you.

Remember, happiness and good fortune may not last very long.  Be thankful for today.  Life can change in an instant; everyday above ground is a good day.

Perhaps this makes me sound like an eternal pessimist, but life is not lollipops and unicorns.  Life is not fair.  We are only immortal for a limited time.

I am thankful for what I have, but much more than that, I am thankful for who I have.  Friends, family, co-workers.

Life is about who, not what.

<<>>

On much less philosophical level, I am also thankful for the folks who read this very blog (obviously, that's you).  By the end of this month, I will have surpassed 26,000 visitors to this site, which is quite a milestone.  I've always loved writing, and for years I wrote for just myself.

When we recently moved to a new storage unit, I uncovered many of my writings, most of which I had completely forgotten about.   Actually, I was a little taken aback as to how much I had written over the years (pen and paper), keeping journals, writing stories, and several failed attempts at composing that elusive novel.

I have quite literally thousands of pages which will never be read by anyone but me... well, at least until I croak.  Then they will probably be burned or thrown in a sanitary landfill.

Que sera, sera.

Either that or I will become a famous writer posthumously.  That would really piss me off.

When I started blogging, I loved the thought that (hopefully) someone would actually read what I write.  I started out with a bang, but as life got busier, I basically stopped writing for a while back in 2012.

That was the year when I started a new job with new hours (as did the Speaker of the House).  Our lives completely changed and I found all sorts of excuses to not write.

I composed just 15 blog entries in 2012 and my "audience" disappeared (for good reason!).

I renewed my commitment to writing in 2013 and I haven't looked back since.

So thank you for visiting Horse Manure Park and reading my nonsense.  I enjoy sharing a piece of my life with you and I am thankful for your support.

<<>>

Recently, the Girl has been watching all kinds of veterinarian shows on National Geographic and Animal Planet.   When she was four years old, she proclaimed she was going to be a vet.  Granted, this will almost certainly change someday, but I give her credit for being consistent for the past four years.

The Girl performing surgery on a very sick iguana.  Her handy assistant stands at the ready.
Honestly, she takes this veterinarian stuff seriously.  In the picture above, the blue retractable dog leash is the anesthesia.  The dog rope toy is the IV line.  The Darth Vader gauntlets are the sterile gloves.

"Give me a hemostat, quick!"  "We need more fluids!"

Yes, these are conversations in my home.

Yesterday, the Speaker of the House put up Christmas lights around the house (it was, after all, a relatively balmy 36ºF).  She's been in the Christmas mood for the past two weeks.  I prefer no Christmas music or decorations until after Thanksgiving, but I know when I'm beat.

The lovely and talent Speaker of the House getting her Christmas on.

The Boy and Girl creating a shelter, "like back in the olden days when you were a kid, Dad."
I know it's just the beginning of winter, but my feelings won't be hurt if spring comes early.

Happy Thanksgiving, friends.  Remember, be thankful for what you have now.  Most importantly, be thankful for those in your life.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!