Some Thoughts...

It is already June 6th. Life is moving fast and furious.

It was a long week of work. It is Saturday and I don't really have any plans (I'm waiting for it to rain) and I feel guilty for not having any plans. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law (B&B Construction) were here this past week and they installed wood paneling in our downstairs living room. It is amazing what a little accent like that can do to a room.

I got home late from work but took some "before" pictures after the project was already started.

The living room wall is bisected by a wooden shelf. The wall, top and bottom, was orange peel consistency and plain white. After almost 15 years of living here, we decided to kick it up a notch. 
Work in progress...
The finished project...
Now to paint the living room... but the jury is still out on what color to use. As you can see in the top picture, we flirted with yellow hues, but it does not work at all with the color of wood we have. It looks like calf scurvy. The Speaker does not want brown/tan/beige (neither do I), so the process continues.

Today, June 6th, marks the 71st anniversary of the D-Day Invasion. I always try to picture in my mind what it must have been like to take part in the largest amphibian invasion in military history. So many of those men were going to their deaths and they knew it. But they did it anyway. Sacrificing yourself for what you think is right. That's the definition of heroism.

Which brings me to a subject I dare broach, because I might piss someone off (and that's fine if I do).

A few months ago I watched a program about people who were in love with inanimate objects (the show did not specifically call them "mentally ill," but it didn't take a doctorate in psychiatry to figure it out).

I especially remember one woman named Amy Wolfe who was "in love" and "sexually attracted" to a rollercoaster in Pennsylvania.

Amy Wolfe is batshit crazy. She is not a hero.

And that leads me to this: I can't put into words how drained I am of listening to the Bruce Jenner talk (I will not call him Caitlyn or whatever it is). Calling this guy "heroic" is appalling to me.

In 1976, Bruce Jenner was a man among men. He also was sick.
If Bruce Jenner had announced to Diane Sawyer (and the world) that he was Jesus Christ and he had returned to fulfill the Biblical prophecy, most people would agree he was a nut job. Instead, he announces he is a woman trapped in a man's body, underwent a sex change, and (tah-dah!) the media makes him a hero.

Let's call him what he is: mentally ill.

And yes, let me make myself perfectly clear, I think all transgender people are mentally ill. But instead of treating their illness, as we would someone who is schizophrenic or bipolar, we enable them, we encourage them, and we call them heroes.

When Michael Jackson changed his appearance so drastically (although he did not undergo a sex change), people ridiculed him, made fun of him, mocked him. What is the difference? (This is not referring to the alleged child molestation charges, which is an entirely different subject). I believe Michael Jackson had many psychological problems bordering on mental illness which were never addressed and they manifested in him trying to change his appearance (Oprah Winfrey's 1993 interview with Jackson makes this quite apparent).

Michael Jackson was a classified as a screwball. Bruce Jenner is a hero.

It's a double standard of the highest order; about as modern day American as you can get.

I know some moron will put forth the argument, "What about homosexuals? They are mentally ill, too!"

No, they are not. Gay men are still men. Lesbians are still women. Both are genetically predisposed to being attracted to the same sex. That's not a choice and it is not a mental illness, no more than it is being color-blind or tone-deaf.

Bruce Jenner told Diane Sawyer that he is sexually attracted to women and enjoys having sex with women, but he doesn't consider himself a lesbian -- even though by definition, a lesbian is a female who is emotionally and sexually attracted to another female. If Jenner is now female, he/she is all out Indigo Girls lesbian, right? (and for the record, I love the Indigo Girls).

Or maybe, just maybe, Jenner doesn't want to be labeled a lesbian and deal with the stigma attached to it. I mean, God forbid!

Now does this affect my life in any way? No, of course not. Bruce Jenner can continue his disturbed existence as a 65 year-old man. But I do have a problem with the media fully embracing someone for their bravery, for their "heroic" stand when they are obviously sick in the head and everyone seems to think it's okay.

Hey, it's my blog and that's my opinion. Disagree? Get your own blog.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!