Some Thoughts...

Today is my birthday. I came screaming into this world 47 years ago.

But one thing you will never hear me complain about is growing old. As the old saying goes, "Never complain about getting old; it is a privilege denied to many." I'm paraphrasing there... and I do not know who said it. But it is very true.

And I was reminded of this truth on Wednesday. My brother's soulmate, my sister-in-law, Kathy, passed away in the early morning hours of October 5th.

Kathy battled cancer for several years and she was a warrior. In August, she made the courageous decision to withdraw any further chemo treatments as they were making her incredibly ill. Her choice was to live the rest of her life on her terms, doing things she enjoyed, rather than spending her days in and out of hospitals with no quality of life.

She made this resolution knowing her time was short and she embraced every moment she had left. It was simply a measure of her bravery and faith. She did it her way and I don't think she ever knew what an inspiration she was to so many, certainly including me.

Kathy was one of the most selfless people I've ever known. She was always giving to others. She was extremely artistic and creative; in fact, just four weeks ago she gave my children a couple of craft projects she had made just for them. They adore these little works of art and they are proudly displayed in their bedrooms. They are treasures; made, given and received with love.


The photo below is one of my favorites. It was taken July 23, 2011 at Kathy and Bob's home. I call it the "three sisters-in-law." Kathy is in the middle. My sister-in-law Marilyn is in red and my wife, Beth, is in blue. We never got together as much as we wanted to and we always looked forward to enjoying each others company. I cherish these memories now more than ever.


This incredible woman will be laid to rest tomorrow, but it is not goodbye. Her grace, her spirit and her inspiration are immortal. Her memory lives on in every human being touched by her kindness and I think she would be thrilled to know that.

Kathy, you did good.

So these are my thoughts on this, my birthday, October 8th, 2016.

Make every single day count.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!