End of the Year Thoughts

It is the last day of 2016. Thank you for "tuning in" to read my posts; it is a rare event when something new pops up here (and I really must change that). If I was a true believer in resolutions, I would resolve to write more. But my cynical side tells me I am setting myself up for failure. The excuses will fly left and right why I don't post more often.

Instead, I will write today -- mark time as the year ends -- and see what tomorrow brings.

The past year was very memorable, but for mostly the wrong reasons. So many famous people in the entertainment industry died this year and I've taken a few minutes to compile a list (certainly not exhaustive):


  • David Bowie
  • Alan Rickman
  • Dan Haggerty 
  • Glenn Frey
  • Abe Vigoda
  • Maurice White 
  • Harper Lee (author of To Kill a Mockingbird)
  • Sir George Martin 
  • Frank Sinatra, Jr.
  • Garry Shandling 
  • Patty Duke
  • Merle Haggard
  • Prince
  • Morley Safer
  • Elie Wiesel (author of Night)
  • Garry Mashall
  • Gene Wilder
  • Bobby Vee
  • Kay Starr
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Florence Henderson
  • Keith Emerson (founder Emerson, Lake and Palmer)
  • Greg Lake (founder Emerson, Lake and Palmer)
  • Alan Thicke
  • Zsa Zsa Gabor
  • George Michael
  • Carrie Fisher
  • Debbie Reynolds

Others who passed this year include:

  • Nancy Reagan
  • John Glenn
  • Fidel Castro
  • Janet Reno
  • Muhammad Ali
  • Arnold Palmer
  • Dennis Green
  • Pat Summitt
  • Buddy Ryan
  • Joe Garagiola
  • Arnold Palmer

These are all famous names and the number is staggering. But one name not on that list cut the deepest and made all others fade into the woodwork.

Everyone in my family still feels the radiant sadness and emptiness of losing my sister-in-law, Kathy. I will try not to dwell on the void of her passing and instead celebrate the good times we had together, even over this past year.

The best memory of the year: surprising (sort of) my aunt Sandy and uncle Ray in Las Vegas. They winter there every year and the Budahns and Branstners flew out to Sin City in February.

It just so happened that Kathy and my brother Bob were there at the same time. We all met up that first night on Fremont Street and had so much fun. We didn't know it then, but it would be one of the last times we would all be together. These are memories I treasure and I am so thankful we have a few pictures of the moment.

Fremont Street -- Feb 15, 2016

Freemont Street -- Feb 15, 2016

Uncle Ray sneaking beer on Fremont Street. Kathy looks amused.
It is hard to believe this was less than a year ago. I am so glad we took this vacation and we could all be together one more time. We weren't thinking about illness. We weren't thinking about what little time we had left together (after all, none of us knew). We were simply having a damn good time. 

Even though Kathy is gone, she still has a presence in our home. She made this light for us as a gift years ago (hand painted and home made). We've taken it out every Christmas and kept it out until spring.

This year it is even more special.


We will keep the light on tonight in her memory and hope for a better 2017.

Happy New Year to the nearly 40,000 folks who have clicked on my blog to read my thoughts. I hope the new year brings you good health and good memories.







Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!