The Unofficial National Holiday

It is a day of celebration. A day when family and friends brave the wintry cold and gather together to eat, drink and be merry.

No, I'm not talking about Thanksgiving. I am talking, of course, about Super Bowl Sunday.


Tomorrow is the unofficial national holiday of the United States. It is the most analyzed, debated, commercialized, consumerized and overly-hyped spectacle our country has to offer.

It is uniquely American.

A few numbers to ponder:


  • $5.6 billion: the amount money Americans will spend on Super Bowl related items
  • 1.33 billion: the number of chicken wings to be consumed
  • 325 million: gallons of beer to be drank
  • 4.4 million: pizzas to be ordered from Pizza Hut, Papa John's and Dominoes
  • $6,250: average ticket price to the Super Bowl
  • $5 million: the cost of a 30 second ad during the game
  • $132 million: the amount of money wagered on the Super Bow in Las Vegas


In fact, you can bet on anything, from the color of Gatorade dumped on the winning coach (yellow, orange, green and clear are the most popular) to whether the Super Bowl MVP mentions "God" or "team."

It seems the entire country watches the Super Bowl, if not for the game, then certainly for the new commercials. Complete consumer addiction. That's America.

Simply put, the Super Bowl is the epitome of American greed and gluttony. There is nothing else like it in the world.

(And yes, I love it.)

But there's one drawback. And here's where I get the hate mail, but it is true...

Lady Gaga, an outspoken Hillary Clinton supporter, is performing at halftime (in fact, Lady Gaga appeared with Clinton at her final rally on the eve of the 2016 presidential election). Coming off the sting of the upset loss, and a global television audience of more than 150 million people at her disposal, there is absolutely no doubt she will make some kind of political statement.

Why? Because it is imperative that we do not enjoy anything these days.

You probably stopped reading once the political talk started. I don't blame you. I avoid it whenever I can, but I've no doubt Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" during Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime (also in Houston) is going to pale compared to what Lady Gaga has planned.

Still, I look forward to the Super Bowl. I do every year. I'm hoping for a good game (I think it will be). And yes, I plan on engorging myself with unhealthy food and Bloody Mary's.

In fact, I think I'm going to get started right now.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!