To Knee or Not to Knee?

I don't know which is harder to believe... that it has been four months since my last confession or that in 2009, I made 156 of these blog entries. There was a time when I couldn't wait to sit down and write about something. Now it is just so much easier to post a thought on Facebook or Twitter and be done with it rather than sit down and actually write an organized, well thought-out piece.

Unfortunately, social media sites have become frothing-at-the-mouth political hotbeds. One must not even make a joke about something for fear offending or angering a friend or relative (or complete stranger). I have found it is much safer to keep my thoughts to myself (it is not as though I do not have an opinion!). Social media sites have become little more than arenas for folks to throw verbal barbs at one another, rather than engaging in intelligent discourse or debate.

Everyone must prove their "rightness." No one is willing to listen to the other side. The older I get, the more I have learned that at times the best advice is, in fact, to shut up and listen. You might learn something.


Certainly the hot topic of the week centers around NFL players kneeling for the national anthem. Why this is such a hot button issue now boggles my mind, because players have been doing it for over a year. But the media needs to keep itself entertained, so here we are... pawns in their game.

I have had healthy conversations with many friends over this issue. And in many respects, I've come full circle. Let me explain.

Personally, I would never kneel for the national anthem. Full disclosure: When I first learned of Colin Kaepernick's protest, which (again) goes back to August 2016, I frankly was pissed off. What kind of disrespectful asshole would not stand for the national anthem?

I was taught to respect the flag and what it represents. The catch-22 here is that same flag represents an individual's right to express themselves ("freedom of speech"). This is the conundrum I find myself dealing with. It isn't as easy as "stand up or get the hell out of the country!" After careful thought, I recognize it is more complex than that.

I honestly believe that most of these players believe they are giving a voice to the voiceless. I think they believe they are doing the right thing. I think they believe they are doing their own small part in making America a better place by raising awareness on the issues of racism and social injustice.

These men are quick to point out that they are not disrespecting the military or veterans. Many have fathers, mothers, sisters and brothers who have served or are serving. They argue that they're trying to bring about a positive change in our country.

And yes, I understand where they are coming from. Most of them, I believe, are sincere.

Unfortunately, it looks bad. Really bad. At best, it looks disrespectful. Kneeling for the national anthem appears to be a complete disregard for everything good and sacred. It appears amateurish. Honestly, it looks like something a thug would do. It's a bad image.

Lost in the mix is the message. This has become an issue of patriotism now, not social awareness. Our President pushed the issue, calling NFL players "sons of bitches," and the reaction saw even more players taking knees (what I call the "Great Kneel-Down of 2017"). This was primarily in response to the President's name-calling, not necessarily anything to do with the original intent of the act.

(It should be noted that Donald Trump lost millions of dollars in the USFL in the early 1980s while attempting to compete with the NFL. He was also outbid when he attempted to buy the Buffalo Bills in 2014, so he's long had a chip on his shoulder towards the organization. The kneeling issue has simply thrown gasoline on an already glowing ember).

I believe these men have the absolute right to kneel. Do I think it is right? No. Would I rather they protest in another way? Yes.

In the end, "freedom of speech" simply means the government cannot punish you for expressing an opinion or a belief. It does not mean you are free from consequence or criticism.

Part of the consequence is the suddenly popular movement to boycott the NFL (again, why now and not 13 months ago?). Direct TV is now offering refunds for their NFL Sunday Ticket package. There is a lot of big talk out there at the moment.

Will people truly stop watching the NFL and stop going to games? Will people truly put their money where their mouth is?

This is America. We whine when we don't get a great WiFi connection. Do you really think we have the resolve to stop watching football on Sundays?

Gimme a break.




Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!