Another Sunday night

Sunday night at the Branstners. Beth is at work so Ava and I are hanging out. She's piling her stuffed animals up in a giant dog pile, saying something like "Zebras!" although she doesn't have a zebra in her stuffed animal collection. She could be saying something else; I am still trying to decipher real words (and she says many, even two or three word sentences) from babble. I would have to say she's pretty darn smart. Catches on quick, she does.

We'll go trick or treating on Wednesday. Beth got the night off, so we can make knock on a couple of doors. Trick or treating just isn't like what it used to be. When I was a kid, the parents would drop the kids off at one end of town and say, "Okay, have fun. When your done, come up to the bar, that's where we'll be." Of course, that's growing up a Hewitt, Minnesota. I sometimes get teased for growing up in a such a small town, but I experienced something that not many kids can experience now days.

Observations on the sporting world...

I've been trying to watch the World Series... Rockies and Red Sox, but I just can't get very interested. I normally don't follow baseball too closely, but I usually like the Series, probably because my parents always watched it. These days they have lots of cool graphics on t.v. for baseball games, which makes it a bit more entertaining. I've always said that baseball is the ultimate beer drinking spectator sport. The games can get a little, shall we say, long.

The Gophers lost yet another game -- not that I expected them to win. It is interesting to note on Saturday that the Minnesota Gophers briefly led Michigan by a greater margin (10-0) than they ever led North Dakota State (7-0, for about 24 seconds).

Miami Dolphins’ linebacker Channing Crowder recently said of his team playing in London, England, “I couldn’t find London if they didn‘t have names on maps, I swear to God.” Crowder is a supposed graduate of the University of Florida. I am sure Gator alumni everywhere are very, very proud.

The University of North Dakota has three years to get permission from the Sioux tribe to use the nickname “Fighting Sioux” or they have to retire the nickname. I hope they are successful because “Sioux Suck!” has such a nice ring to it, nothing else would do. This led me to wonder if the Ute tribe in Utah and the Illini tribe in Illinois have given permission to those respective schools to use their tribe as a nickname?

The Florida State Seminoles has written permission from the Seminole tribe to use their name. That’s the only school that I know of that actually has permission from a Native American tribe. But I can’t exactly say I’m an expert on the matter.

And that brings us to the Vikings. They lost again. I predicted a 2-14 season, and right now they are 2-5. I was hoping they would prove me wrong, but so far they are making me look like I knew what I was talking about. I'm still hoping it is a mirage.

No Sunday night football on tonight because of the World Series. Guess I will find a good documentary or something. If nothing is on, I suppose I'll force myself to watch the Series, although I suspect the Red Sox will win tonight and put the Rockies out of their misery.

Well, not much to yak about at the moment. I've been working all week and that usually doesn't account for much of a conversation. We'll see you again soon.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!