Happy Halloween

It was nice and sunny and warm yesterday. Today it is cold and really windy. The wind started last night and you could hear it howling through the trees... very Halloweenish. We plan on doing a little trick-or-treating tonight, but only to homes we know. John and Becky's, Jon and Char's, Korey and Shelli's. That's about it. Halloween isn't what it used to be; I guess I've already talked about that before.

Turner Movie Classics (one of my favorite channels) is playing old horror films all day. Right now Cry of the Werewolf (1944) is playing. Cheesy, but still kind of cool in its own way.

Beth called State Farm today and the insurance adjustor is on vacation this week (of course he is), so everything has been pushed back a week. I suppose deer hunting or pheasant hunting is going on and everything comes to a standstill when that happens. Hunting is something I've never gotten into. I understand the necessity of it and for many people, deer hunting is as close to a pagan holiday as a Christian society can get -- same is true for fishing opener. I can understand it because the fantasy football draft and NFL kick-off week give me the same feeling. I've had a couple people tell me that something as silly as fantasy football can't possibly come close to the excitement to fishing opener. Oh yeah?

How offended would you be if I thought it sounded silly to pay money for a license so that I could sit in a boat at 5 a.m. and freeze my butt off for hours on end while staring at a fishing line dangling in the water, waiting for a smelly creature that I can't see to swim along and bite the end of my hook... all the while fighting off other idiots who are trying to do the same thing? That sounds terribly exciting to me. No, hunting and fishing are two things I've just never gotten into. I suspect I never will. That's alright, we can't all be outdoorsmen. I love camping, so I suppose that counts for something, right?

I think we plan on going out for dinner tonight before trick-or-treating. We have to talk about our plans, or maybe I should say we have to make a plan, so I better sign off for now.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!