Rain, Flu and Dog's Eye


Well, my daughter has me perplexed.  Since my last entry she's not had a fever and her appetite has been that of a small water buffalo.  There is no way she could have had the full-blown flu, as was my first fear.  I am trying to convince myself this was a side effect of her flu shot, but that theory doesn't hold water either.  Her temperature was far too high and it came 72 hours after the shot, which was too late.

The important thing is she's feeling back to normal.

Then last night, since Ava was feeling better, we baked cookies.  All was going well until she thought it was a good idea to smell the cookies on the baking sheet fresh out of the oven... No!  Stop!  


It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but her top lip is sort of "trout" looking this morning.  She sort of resembles a cute version Angelina Joline (one of the ugliest women on the face of the planet, in my opinion).

But the lesson was learned.  Even the most vigilant parent can't prevent all accidents from happening... and the concept of "hot" is not learned until you get burned. 

Ya know, I just realized that by sharing that story on my blog we will probably have social services knocking on our door this afternoon.  Great.

So one person is feeling better and now another member of my family is sick... of the canine variety.

Poor Grace went to the vet yesterday.  Her left eye has been bothering her for a week so I finally took her in since it wasn't getting better and the vet discovered an ulcer on her cornea (of all things?!).  She is getting antibiotic ointment to her eye four times a day for 10 days.  She goes back November 9th.  If it isn't getting better they will have to debride her cornea, which won't be fun.  I am sure this means she'll be put under -- and all I see is this:   

$$$$$

It has been a bad year for dogs.  We lost our sweet Martha in June and now Grace is going blind.

Okay, she's not going blind, but her eye sight is threatened if these interventions do not work.  We just have to hope for the best.  Poor dog.

It has been raining and raining and drizzling and raining a little more when it's not misting.  And the forecast today is... rain all day.  I suppose I should not complain too loudly.  It could be snow.  But in a way that wouldn't be so bad.  At least I could take Ava out and play in it; and it's not like we aren't going to get snow eventually anyway.  And it would be a lot prettier than this brown and gray depressing wetness that is soaking us right now.  Has there been a sunny day in October?  I don't remember one.

Tomorrow is Halloween.  The good news is it isn't supposed to rain and it looks like everyone at my house is going to be healthy enough to go trick or treating.  The bad news is it is supposed to be cold.  Oh well.

I did something very unusual last night.  I fell asleep at 6:30 PM and I was out for the count.  I must have woke up and found my way downstairs to my nest at some point.  I finally woke up at 4:30 AM feeling most rested I have in a long time.  I must have needed the sleep, that's what I am telling myself.

But how can I be a rock star if I fall asleep for the show even starts??

Must be gettin' old.
8
8
8
8

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!