Weird Times

It seems this is a really good time to start blogging again. Maybe just jotting down my thoughts here as we wade through these unprecedented times, as a way of holding on to my sanity. I don't "promote" this site anymore like I used to; trying to come up with something "interesting" to write several times a week was just too much while trying to balance work and family. I'm not writing for an audience, just for myself.

Being here in my own little blog world is far more healthy than going on social media and getting into arguments with people. I can't do that anymore. There is so much misinformation regarding this COVID-19 pandemic; conspiracy theories and an unlimited number of false, misleading claims.

And everyone is an expert, especially if they went to the University of Facebook.

I keep reminding myself that we are living in a truly historic moment right now; we will look back on this and say "Remember when?" someday. This is temporary and life will eventually get back to normal.

I remind myself that people will be talking about this a hundred years from now. History classes, Health and Science classes will discuss the world-wide COVID-19 pandemic, when life in the United States - and the world - changed (in some ways temporarily, in others permanently). Sociology, Political Science and Psychology and Economics will have entire semesters devoted to the COVID-19 pandemic. It truly is extraordinary.

This moment in history is also a reminder to keep things in context. For instance, I read an article today which crushed Disney/Pixar's animated film "Onward" as the company's first "flop." Well, the film was released March 6, 2020. Just a few days later theaters across the nation closed in an effort to help contain COVID-19, introducing the term "social distancing" to Americans. So, it isn't really fair to call it a "flop." It is hard to go to a movie if the theater is closed.

The panic buying, the hoarding of products like toilet paper, bottled water, Tylenol, have left store shelves bare. People have reacted to this like spooked animals. I like to call them idiots, myself.

Schools have closed, most likely not to open again for the remainder of the school year. We picked up our kids' belongings last Thursday, anticipating online learning in the next week. Bars and restaurants have closed. Take-out is available and some businesses have gotten quite innovative in finding ways to keep afloat. Like they say, "necessity is the mother of invention."

Las Vegas has closed. Disneyland and Disney World have closed. Mall of American has closed. New York, California, Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois have a "shelter in place" order.

One bit of good news is the exponential curve seems to be bending in Minnesota. I suspect this means we will be ordered to shelter in place very soon. Rumor is it will happen today.








Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!