An Unexpected Visitor

This morning at around 6:45 AM I woke up to a strange sound... kind of a swish, scratch.  This was rather loud and it woke me out of a deep sleep.

Swish, scratch.

I listened for a couple of seconds... nothing.

I closed my eyes again and nearly drifted back to sleep when there is was again: swish, scratch.

This time I was able to tell it was coming from outside.  It sounded like it was something brushing against our bedroom window (we sleep on the lower level and the ground level window is less than four feet away from our bed). 

Ah, the wind.  Obviously the wind is blowing snow against the window. 

But it didn't sound windy outside.

Swish, scratch.

Then faithful ol' Grace stopped snoring, perked up her ears and started to growl.  Something wasn't right.

So I crawled out of bed, leaned over and pulled up the blind.

And there I found myself, quite literally eye-to-eye with a deer.  Less than a foot in front of me.  Pawing at the snow.

If it wasn't for the glass between us I could have easily leaned over and kissed it on the nose.

"Beth!  Beth!"

"What?" said my grumpy wife, now pissed off for being awakened on her day off.

"Look at this!" 

"What?"

"Just look at this!" 

The deer then looked up and stared right at me; chewing, chewing, chewing away on the grass it had uncovered in front of our bedroom window.

Suddenly I hear my wife whisper, "HOLY SHIT!"

Miss Deer just kept staring at me, eyeball-to-eyeball and chewing like there was no tomorrow.  The bedroom was dark and she obviously couldn't see me.

Okay, now what?  I was afraid if I spooked it, the damn thing would come crashing through my bedroom window and I'd be chasing a white tail through my house on an early Thursday morning.  Not quite the kind of tail I planned on chasing.  Very uncool.

So I slowly, very slowly, drew the blinds down - and somehow Miss Deer did not jump or even act the least bit concerned.  Eventually she sauntered through the yard along with a couple of her friends and disappeared into the woods.

An hour or so later, I did manage to take a picture as evidence:

My window sill is at the bottom of the picture - you can see Miss Deer's tracks and the grass she was scratching up and nibbling on during our close encounter this morning!

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!