Viruses all around!

Hello friends.  My laptop has been stricken with a virus and it's been in the shop for several days.  I took it in early last week and Brainerd Computers took the virus off and got my computer back to me the same day. 

Unfortunately when I went back online I had another virus within 20 minutes or so.  I called them back and they said, "No, that shouldn't happen.  You better bring it right back in."

Luckily the technician who works on my computer, James, is an honest Scotsman (I've done business with him several times in the past) and he said in his thick accent, "I'll be truthful with ya Sam, I think I might have missed something the first time because this shouldn't have happened.  I'm very sorry."  He charged me for the original virus removal, which he rightly should, but he's not charging me a dime more.  Good thing, too, because he's run into problems and he's spent a lot of time repairing corrupted files, and other complicated computer stuff that's above and beyond my comprehension.  At $60 an hour, I could have bought a dozen new laptops by now.

The computer was supposed to be done today, but he called late this afternoon and said it wasn't ready - although it should be tomorrow.  I am afraid it will never work the same, but it is a five year-old laptop; "ancient" in computer years.  At least it isn't a brand new machine.  Still, I think about my iTunes and all that music.  Damn, damn, damn.

So I've fired up the old PC downstairs.  I wasn't sure if I could even get the hamsters to go, but it is up and running.  I defragmented my hard drive, installed new anti-virus software (per James' recommendation) and here I am.

Tomorrow is a big day for us.  We are getting our new appliances!  We were supposed to get them yesterday, but Sears had a scheduling problem and pushed the delivery day back 24 hours.  Last week we had the gas range disconnected and an electrician came in and installed the proper electrical work for our new range.  Hopefully tomorrow night (provided there are no more set backs) we'll be "all new" in the kitchen and laundry departments.  I will post pictures in the near future.

Meanwhile, I've caught myself a dandy new cold.  I am chasing it with Airborne and zinc - I think it is slowly working.  Beth says it's all voodoo, but I think it helps.

Okay, back to whatever it was that I was doing.  (I forgot.)

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!