Ava's Fifth!!

We had a little birthday party for Ava last weekend at Grandma and Grandpa's and then another one tonight for her "official" 5th birthday.  I can't believe how fast five years can go by. 

She really liked her presents and the cake was great too!

Grandma lighting the candles...
Makin' a wish and blowing 'em out (Ava decorated the cake!)
Look at all the smoke!
She was excited to get the Disney Princess doll collection!
Mom and Grandma having coffee (Ava's picture)
A picture of cousin Nora on the computer screen (Ava's picture)
Her cake on her "official" birthday, including chocolate on the lip!
Neil enjoys parties too, he doesn't care whose birthday it is...
Ava got a music box - look at that concentration trying to figure out how it works...

On a related note, five years ago tonight I was driving home after being awake for about 32 hours.  My first child had just been born, my wife was okay, baby was okay and life was perfect. 

I turned on the CD player in my car and this song was playing.  I'm not too proud to say that as I listened to the words of the song, I burst into tears as I drove home.  Maybe it was because I was sleep-deprived.  Maybe it was because I was emotionally drained.  Or maybe it's because it was the perfect song at the perfect time.

This is the official video, which I think is very good, and the song has had a very special place in my heart ever since.  The words perfectly described how I was feeling that night: Welcome to wherever you are.  This is your life - you've made it this far.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!