Much ado about nothing

So this is what we call a major winter storm, eh?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.  The National Weather Service really built this one up.  They even issued warnings via the Emergency Broadcast System on television.  Prepare to be bludgeoned with 18 inches of snow in the Brainerd Lakes Area.  The end is nigh. 

The geniuses at the local newspaper, the Brainerd Daily Dispatch Disgrace, in all of their journalistic hyperbole, called the looming disaster "Snowmaggedon."  (Real original, I know)

The underlying feeling was that we've never seen snow before.  My personal thought was the weather folks have been bored all winter and they finally had something to talk about.  And this storm was being blown totally out of proportion.

It turns out I was right for once.

Now I'm not claiming to have seen it all, but I have lived in Minnesota for all of my 42 years.  I've seen bad winter storms.  And I started having major doubts about the severity of this "death from above" when 8:00 PM rolled around last evening and not a flake had fallen from the sky.  Eighteen inches of snow by Wednesday afternoon?  It had better start snowing like a son-of-a-gun real soon.

By 6:00 AM, this is what it looked like on my deck:

We just cleared five inches of snow overnight.  In Minnesota, this is considered a "nice little snowfall," not "Snowmaggedon."  If this happened in Tennessee, yes, it would bring things to a stand still.  But this is Minnesota.  We are very prepared for stuff like this.  This is our way of life during the winter season.  Yet amazingly, most of the area's schools were closed.  Because of five inches of snow?  Just incredible.

A massive overreaction if you ask me.

Yesterday's forecast said there would be a 100% chance of snow today, and to expect an additional four to six inches of accumulation.  Guess what?  It's not going to be even close.  In fact, I will eat my Sorels if we get so much as an extra half inch today.  A quick look at radar shows everything fizzling out in this area.

Chalk this up as another case of the National Weather Service making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Crying wolf.  Whatever you want to call it, they were wrong again.  At least they were for my part of the state.

Hard to take anything these people say seriously when they are consistently wrong.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!