As Long As You Ain't Gay

I am guessing this post will make some people angry, and that's okay.

I don't comment on politics very often.  For one thing, I refuse to have a political identity.  Even back in the late '80's on the University of Minnesota campus, when I was young and still believed in the myth that my voice mattered, I did not feel comfortable being labeled.

It isn't because I lack strong opinions.  Anyone who knows me or engages in conversation with me knows that I'm not wishy-washy about too many subjects.

The problem is that I think Republicans have valid points on a number of issues.  I think the same thing about Democrats.

And I think both parties are equally full of crap on many matters.

But I know bullshit when I see it, and this brings me to the subject of the recent anti-gay bill passed by the Arizona state legislature.

America has come a long way... actually, no.  Not really.

Under this bill, small business owners who assert their religious beliefs will be legally allowed to refuse service to gay and lesbian patrons.  (So much for the separation of Church and State).

The bill has now gone to governor Jan Brewer (R).  Brewer says that she doesn't think the issue needs to be statutory, but she also pointed out, "I think anybody that owns a business can choose who they work with or who they don't work with.  That's America.  That's freedom."

That's freedom?

Yep, just ask the gay man who was refused service at Charlie's Pizza and Deli.  That's definitely freedom.

If he was black or Asian or old or handicapped, well, we have laws against that.  We call it "discrimination."  But it's okay to hide behind the Bible and refuse service to another human being, perhaps one that even sits beside you at church? [gasp!]

And if that notion makes you feel uncomfortable, take a long look in the mirror.  You're looking at the problem.


Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!