There's No Day Like a Snow Day

Today is a snow day... I mean, it is a true, legitimate snow day.  Yesterday and last night the snow fell in "bushel baskets" (as Phyllis would say), the wind was whipping in a frenzy.  I dare say we had classic blizzard conditions.

So I wasn't at all surprised when the phone rang at 5:50 AM and it was a recorded message from the school district.  I was, however, surprised to hear that school was two hours late.  I had expected school to be closed, but I guess the decision-makers concluded it wasn't cold enough (that's a "windchill day" joke, which I won't get into).

More than two hours later, the phone rang (again) and it was the school district (again); the powers-that-be had changed their minds and (rightly) closed school for the day.

So the Girl and the Boy are watching Monsters University  for the second time this morning, acting out the parts, reciting the movie's script and I marvel at how quickly they absorb this shit information.

So there's really not much to write about, just chillin' on a snow day, waiting to go to work.

To keep myself entertained, I was flipping through Twitter and I found a couple images I found interesting.

A still image from A Hard Day's Night.  How did this get past the editors and censors in 1964?  John Lennon is sniffing Coke.  Get it?  But it went over everyone's heads.

William Harley and Arthur Davidson, 1914.  It would have been interesting if they had decided to name their company William-Arthur.  But the tattoos wouldn't have been nearly as cool, would they?

Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley, Sun Records label-mates for a short time in 1956-57.  This was the beginning of a "fad" in music called "Rock and Roll."  I have never considered myself a fan of Elvis Presley, but I've piqued in a new interest in him and I will be writing more about him in the future.  I just finished a biography on his rise to fame and I'm now reading the sequel, written by the same author, of his decline.  Despite his iconic image, worldwide fame and massive fortune, I'm finding that Presley's life was lonely, sad and tragic.

Time to check out the window.  I'm pretty sure it is almost springtime.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!