Slang With Me

Every now and then I become so inspired by something that I can barely sleep.  I had just such a moment last night after reading an article posted on Facebook by my former English and drama instructor.

The article was from Huffington Post and it featured 11 old slang terms which the author argued needed to make a comeback.  I instantly thought to myself, "What a brilliant idea!"  Fashion trends go in cycles, so why can't expressive language?

I mean, when I was in high school in the 1980's, mini skirts made a comeback.  As a teenage boy with raging hormones, I can assure you this did not suck.  Mini skirts were big in the 1960's and it took two decades for it all to come full circle.

Hot '80s chicks with mini skirts and big hair.

Likewise, I see kids today wearing things which would have looked right at home in 1987.  I'm still waiting for the big hair, however.  I loved big hair.

...but I digress.

So if old fashion trends can make comebacks, why can't slang?

Inspired, I've decided to expand the original idea and nominate 25 more colorful slang terms and phrases from the past that really need to come back.  I'm taking it upon myself to spearhead the charge of this new revolution.

To help with examples of these great old slang terms and phrases, my new friend Harry will help out.

Harry


"Frosted" = angry (1950s).  "When Harry gets poison ivy on his scrotum, it really gets him frosted."

"Giggle water"alcohol, an intoxicating beverage (1930s).  "Too much giggle water tonight will make Harry miserable tomorrow."

"Abercrombie" = a know-it-all (1930s).  "I hate talking about the pythagorean theorem with Harry.  He's such an abercrombie.  I want to punch him in the forehead."

"Jake" = okay (1920s).  "Harry ate two dozen raw eggs.  But after he puked, everything was Jake."

"Circled"married (1950s).  "Harry is having second thoughts about getting circled tomorrow."

"Square" = an uncool person (1950s).  "Harry has a tattoo on his ankle of a dragon eating a unicorn, but I still think he's a square.  

"Bank's closed" =  rejected (sexually) by someone (1920s).  "Harry tried to get frisky with the wife last night, but he quickly found out the bank's closed."

"Jesus boots" = sandals (1960's).  "Harry needs to buy some Jesus boots to air out the fungus between his toes."

"Gas" =  a great time (1940s).  "Harry's vasectomy was anything but a gas."

"Dog soup" = water (1930s).  "Harry took his oxycodone with a full glass of dog soup, just like the doctor ordered."

"Eggs in coffee" = to run smoothly (1930s).  "Harry has learned when the wife is happy, everything is eggs in coffee."

"All wet" = an erroneous idea or person (1920s).  "Harry still thinks Milli Vanilli was better than Simon and Garfunkel.  I think he's all wet."

"Razz my berries" = to excite or impress (1950s).  "Harry saw the new Shakira video and it really razzed his berries."

"Butt me" = give me a cigarette (1920s).  "There's no smoking in the strip club, Harry.  You can't butt me here."

"Dead soldier" = empty beer bottle (1920s).  "Harry woke up with a splitting headache.  When he saw all the dead soldiers in the house, he understood why."

"Church key" = bottle opener (1960s).  "Harry needs a church key before he can make a dead soldier."

"Fried to the hat" = intoxicated (1920s).  "Harry had more giggle water than he planned and now he's fried to the hat."

"Togged to the bricks" = wearing one's best clothes (1930s).  "When Harry shops Target, he gets togged to the bricks, because that's where the rich people go."

"Word from the bird" = the truth (1950s).  "You don't want to be around Harry after he's had Mexican food.  Trust me, that's word from the bird."

"Wet blanket" = a solemn person (1920s).  "I took Harry out for lunch but all he wanted to talk about was his hemorrhoids.  What a wet blanket."

"Hotsy-totsy" = pleasing (1920s).  "There beer is cold, the fire is warm, the friends are great and Harry went home.  Everything is hotsy-totsy."

"Snap your cap" = to become angry (1940s).  "I didn't mean to kick you in the testicles, Harry.  Don't snap your cap at me."

"Agitate the gravel" = to leave (1950s).  "Harry was having drinks with his girlfriend when his wife walked into the bar.  He'd better agitate the gravel, quick!"

"Nowheresville" = a boring place (1950s).  Since he got circled, Harry's place is nowheresville on a Friday night."

"In orbit" = in the know, to understand (1950s).  "I didn't understand why Harry couldn't go out tonight, but then he told me he was having a colonoscopy tomorrow.  Now I'm in orbit."

So there you go!  Start using this cool old slang today and show your friends just are awesome you really are!
WebRep
currentVote
noRating
noWeight

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!