Another New Year

So it is New Year's Day.  Today is the day we make our resolutions and vow "big changes" for the new year to come.

How stupid.

What makes us think that just because the calendar reveals it's the first day of the first month of a brand new year, that we magically become different in our resolve?

Based on a non-scientific study, 99.7% of the "big changes" we resolve to make flounder within 14 days of the new year.  This especially includes going to the gym and starting a diet.

Simply put, Americans are all talk and no action.  Making a plan, taking action and sticking to the plan is difficult.  And we don't do difficult.  If it doesn't come in a pill or offer instant gratification, we are not interested.  We quit easily.

As the great poet and songwriter Paul Simon once philosophized in the year I was born,

"After changes upon changes we are more or less the same."

So, you'll see no resolutions here.  I don't believe in setting myself up for failure, which is what the "New Year's Resolution" is all about, in my opinion.  Talk about kicking the new year off on the wrong foot!

*

Christmas has come and gone and I missed it.  I ended up getting something suspiciously similar to legitimate influenza early Christmas morning (and yes, I had gotten a flu shot back in October).  I got out of bed for ten minutes to see the Tax Deductions open their gifts from Santa on Christmas morning, and didn't get out of bed again until late the next day.

As a result, I missed all the family gatherings, the Christmas dinner, the whole shebang.  Boo-hoo for me, right?

Yes, it sucked.  But there are a lot of people fighting a much greater battle than me.  I think I'll die another day.

Early morning, December 25, 2014

Luckily, the Speaker of the House snapped a couple of shots of the kids opening gifts Christmas morning.  I barely have any recollection of it.  I was running a high fever and was seeing spiders with big boobs crawling on the walls when these pictures were taken.

It was actually pretty groovy.

This might be my favorite Christmas photo ever.  Sheer, unbridled happiness (Star Wars Legos can do that to you!).  You can still see the Boy's "slapped cheeks" from Fifth Disease, which was full blown on Christmas morning. 

So an old year ends and a new one begins.  I looked back at last year's pictures and found one quite appropriate to put a bow on 2014.  It was also one of the highlights of my year...
Fargodome, July 12, 2014.  The house lights come up seconds after Paul McCartney left the stage.  You can still see smoke clearing and the confetti falling from the sky.  One party ends and another is about to begin... such is life.

Happy New Year to all of you.  Thank you for following me on my blogging adventure.  I can only hope that 2015 brings you good health.  If you've got that, you've got everything.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!