Happy 100th!

One hundred years ago today a baby boy was born near Somers, Iowa.

That baby grew up to be my dad.

That's right, today is my father's 100th birthday.  I think of him every single day and use him as my role model through life.

I know I will never be half the man he was, but I do my best to make him proud of the child he raised.

My dad in Rome, 1944, after the Battle of Monte Cassino.  When I looked at this picture as a kid, I always thought my dad looked like a movie star.
My dad with my two brothers, Bob (left) and Dale, about 1951.  Still one of my favorite pictures.
Me and my dad in the spring of 1970.  He was a 55 year-old grandfather in this picture, starting all over with yet another son!
Me, my hair and my dad, autumn of 1988.
Happy birthday, Dad.  Thank you for your service to our country -- you were a true American hero, even though you never really talked about it.

Thank you for passing on your love of football to me.  I am now passing that passion on to my own son.

Thank you for teaching me the difference between wrong and right, and thank you for leading by example.

You were simply a damn good man.  And that's all I hope to be.

I'm going to have a cigar in your honor today.  I wish you could join me.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!