Whirlwind

It is the end of a whirlwind week and now it is back to the grind. I hope my week at work goes as fast as this past week did. We saw a lot of highway this week, having traveled to St. Paul on Tuesday, back Wednesday... then to Bismarck, North Dakota on Friday and back Sunday. That's a lot of road time. Thank goodness the roads were good and our trips were safe.

Also thank you to the Stokes' for letting us borrow their portable DVD player. Lesson One: I promised myself I would not buy a DVD player to entertain my child on long trips, but Phyllis didn't raise no fool. My philosophy has changed: I am not getting soft, I am taking advantage of modern technology to prolong my sanity as a parent.

Lesson Two: I've said it before and I'll say it again, anyone who babbles on about global overpopulation has never traveled I-94 from Fargo to Bismarck.

But once we got to Bismarck we had a great time. Thanks to Sara and Jon for their hospitality! We got to visit with the Doll's and Grandma Dau (Ava's great-grandma and namesake). On Saturday night we went to a restaurant called Texas Roundhouse which had a fun atmosphere, cold Boulevard beer and sirloin steaks that were to-die-for. GREAT food and highly recommended by yours truly. It kind of reminded me of Famous Dave's, except Texas Roundhouse had country music and better food.

We kenneled our dogs Friday and I picked them up this morning. The poor things are just exhausted (as they always are after being kenneled; I don't think they sleep well or eat well when they are caged up), but you can tell they are very happy to be home. The truth is, we are very happy to have them home. The house was very quiet last night. It is strange how you can get so used to those furry little friends cuddled up with you at night. You really do miss the snoring and the paws in the back and the cold, wet noses when they are gone.

Beth has the headphones on and is watching some weird movie. It stars that one guy who can't act... not Nicholas Cage, but that other guy. Keanu Reeves, is that his name? I probably spelled it wrong, but that's what you get for having a name like Keanu. How about just plain "Kenny." There's nothing wrong with that.

I suppose it is about time to head to work. Wish me luck this week. I feel like I've been on vacation for two weeks and it is a challenge to get out of my Lazy Boy and face the day, er, night.

Neil Aspinall died today. You probably don't know who that is. He was the Beatles original road manager who started working for the band back in 1961, driving them to gigs in an old van. He later became the president of Apple records, the Beatles record company. He saw so much rock and roll history unfold before his very eyes, but he never wrote a book about his time with the band (which was his entire adult life). There is no doubt that thousands of stories about the Beatles died with him. It is a sad loss for the music world.

Well, Bon Jovi is over. Easter is over. I guess camping season is just around the corner now. We also have to start thinking about rehearsal dates for Farm Fest. Time to brush off my bass and get those calluses back.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!