Another Fire

What the hell is in the water around here? For the second time in five days, there was another house fire in our neighborhood, this time about a mile away -- easily within walking distance from my house. The preliminary investigation is indicating this was also accidental (just like the house fire on Sunday night a block from our place), but what are the chances of two houses burning down within a mile of each other in less than a week??!! The fire department and police department are assuring the neighborhood that the two fires were entirely unrelated and it is just an incredible coincidence, but it is still a little unsettling, ya know?

The latest fire was reportedly started by an unattended charcoal grill on a deck. The coals were whipped back to life by a stiff breeze on Thursday afternoon, spread to the house and that was all it took. There was no one at home at the time, so thankfully no one was hurt... but the house was pretty much completely destroyed. What a terrible week.

It is getting awfully dry around here. It is amazing how quickly things can dry up this time of year. It has been warm, but not ridiculously hot. Still, no rain in just a week's time can kill the grass pretty fast.

We've reached the weekend, which I just hate. To me, the weekend means high stress at work (staffing is cut back on the weekends, because (evidently) administration seems to think people don't get sick on weekends), and lack of sleep at home. Beth works evenings and Ava is no longer taking an afternoon nap, so I get up before 2 p.m. and stay up the rest of the day and night, then back to bed about 8:30 a.m. and do it all over again the next day and the next day. By Monday morning I am dragging my butt. I can go on five hours of sleep for three days, but if our schedule was always like this, I would no longer work nights. In fact, I would go get a job at UPS. I still might.

I suppose I have felt sorry for myself long enough here. Dora the Explorer is now on, which at our house is kind of equivalent to the Lawrence Welk Show at a nursing home. EVERYTHING stops until the show is over. Kind of funny, though, because Ava was counting to five in Spanish today, so she does get something out of it.

Time to sign off. I'll talk to you again later.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!