Rehearsal weekend

Home again at last. A long, but extremely fun and productive weekend at the farm. Everything is in place for Farm Fest V, all we need to do is wait for that weekend to roll around and hope the skies stay halfway clear. I guess there's nothing we can do about it if it does rain -- we've always been prepared for it, and we will be again this year, so let the chips fall where they may. Either way, it is going to be a great time.

I got to the farm on Friday around noon or so. It is so quiet out there.. probably the most peaceful place that I know of. What a fantastic escape.

Dale, Mel, Ross, Kevin, Jon Stokes, the Budahns all arrived Friday afternoon/evening, and we sat around the campfire Friday night. We imbibed in a few cold beverages, and Jon, Brian and I finally called it a night around 2 a.m. Bob, Ray and Sandy came out early Saturday morning and we hit rehearsal hard, putting in a solid six hours of reviewing, refreshing, and cleaning up rough spots. Of course, we are bound to make mistakes during Farm Fest, simply because we don't play together enough... but I know people really don't care if there's a wrong note here and there. If I was going to a concert and paid $75 for a ticket, I'd expect an excellent performance, but this is just for fun and we do it because we enjoy it... and it gives us all an excellent excuse to get together at least once a year. Still, we want it to sound as good as we can and when we finished Saturday evening, I think we were pretty satisfied.

Kathy came out later in the day and we all had a delicious supper Saturday night, but we ended up crashing early. That much playing is physically and mentally exhausting. If I was playing just the drums, I could do it all day and night without giving it a second thought, but playing bass and singing is still quite a challenge for me, but I enjoy it.

On Sunday we did a few chores around the farm, had a "board meeting" to finalize our Farm Fest plans and then went to Uncle Tom's 70th birthday party in Bertha. I saw a few of my cousins and they are all coming to the '80's "kick off" party Thursday night before Farm Fest. That is going to be a blast!!

We left our equipment set up at the farm, so it is all set to go on the 23rd. All we have to do is set up the monitors on Saturday morning. That's pretty nice -- heck, we'll be just like big time stars: show up for the gig and the stage is already set up and ready to go. We just won't remind ourselves that we are also the roadies, and someone (us!) will need to tear it down when we're done! But loading out is always easier than loading in, so it won't be that bad.

So Thursday, August 21st is the big "kick off" '80's night party. Brian and I decided to call Friday "healing day"... or "Healing Friday." That will be a great day for ibuprofen, Tums, Gatorade, bocci ball, the bean bag toss, and maybe even horseshoes. I'm guessing most of us will hit the sack fairly early Friday night. Then Saturday is "Shindig Saturday." Sunday is a day to relax, and we don't have to be in a hurry to get back home, since Beth and I both took vacation on Monday the 25th. All together, it is going to make for a great weekend, and we are going to have fun rain or shine.

I think I've talked way too much. It is almost 10 p.m. I should turn in early and get as much sleep as I can. Beth and Ava both have colds and they ended up staying home all weekend. It will be a miracle if I don't get one. Ava gave me a big, snotty hug when I got home this afternoon and then we shared a bowl of ice cream tonight and snuggled on the chair and watched "Blue's Clues."

I think she missed her papa almost as much as he missed her!

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!