The Countdown

At last I am in the waning hours of this long working weekend.  I believe I am fully recovered from Farm Fest, back in the swing of things again so to speak.

Just eight more hours of work to go, though, then I have a delicious three weeks off.  Oh yes, that's worth repeating: THREE WEEKS off, kids.  I took a week of vacation during my next regular stretch to work, so I've got a nice, long break coming.  And as you are muttering it under your breath, I'll just say it out loud for you:  Why, yes.  Yes, it is nice.

These three weeks are going to be filled up with all sorts of things to do, but (for once) it does not suck to be me.  We are going to Bismarck, ND, next week to spend some time with the Baumann's.  They've got a fun three or four days planned and it will be nice just to get out of town for a while.

The week after that I have not one, but two fantasy football drafts.  Yeah, hard work, I know.  The only pressing issue is to update one trophy (I paint the new league champion's name on the trophy each year) and try to come up with a better design for the trophy in the other league.  My original design on that trophy is not holding up very well.  These things are stressful, but they must be done.

Otherwise, the remainder of that time will be spent concentrating on my favorite things... Family, Football and Reading.  And I don't mind saying I don't feel the least bit guilty for it.

Yes, I have decided it is time to start reading again.  It has been ages since I've enjoyed a good book.  I used one of my Barnes and Noble gift cards from Christmas and bought five new books last week and I can't wait to dive into them. 

One is You Never Give Me Your Money by Peter Doggett, which is a new book about the Beatles after they broke up in 1970.  An old friend recommended this one and I've already started on it.  Good stuff. 

I also got a new biography on John Lennon, entitled John Lennon: A Life by Philip Norman.  I can never read too much about Lennon or the Beatles for that matter.

I've got a new biography on Louis Armstrong called Pops by Terry Teachout - I am really looking forward to reading this because I have admired Armstrong's talent for years, but really don't know much about his life. 

I also bought The Psychopathic God by Robert G. L. Waite, which is a psychological profile of Adolf Hitler.  I started reading this one about 15 years ago after getting it from the library, but I had to return it before I finished it.  I remember it as being fascinating and I've always wanted a copy for myself. 

Lastly, I got Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin' - The Way You Wear Your Hat by Bill Zehme, a study about Sinatra, who is another artist that I've admired and always wanted to read more about.

How is that for a combination?  Actually, these five books will probably last me all winter long, because I don't have a lot of "down time" with the kiddos and all... but that's okay.  I am determine to start making time for reading.  I really miss it and really enjoy it and I feel like I really get something out of it.  Life is too short, right?

So there's a quick update.  Time to feed my offspring.  Fish sticks tonight... could be worse, right?

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!