Web Log = Blog

Blog.  Silly name, eh?  A contraction of "web" (as in world wide web) and "log" (as in a diary or journal of events).  Put it together and what have you got?

Bibbidi-bobbidi-

"Blog."

Right now I am at an all-time low for blog entries.  I've only logged 68 entries since the beginning of the year.  I am determined to blog more often and fill these fake digital pages from now through the end of the year, just like an unforgiving Tolstoy novel.  Blog, blog and blog some more, I say!  All I gotta do is write.  Right?

It may seem like a snap, but a couple of key things are involved in writing a blog: Time and inspiration.

First, you gotta have time to sit and write.  This also includes time to gather your thoughts.  It used to be pretty easy for me.  Now, it is often impossible.  I keep having this delusion that once the children are tucked in their beds, I can relax with a drink and write for a while (because I love to drink write). 

But in reality, once the children are tucked in their beds, all I can think of is getting to bed myself because my children do not comprehend the concept of sleeping throughout the night.  (But that's a whole other blog).

Second, you've got to find something to write about - also called "inspiration."  That can be an even bigger problem than finding the time to write.  Sometimes you've got to force yourself to just sit and write... and sometimes you can come up with some interesting stuff you didn't even know you had in you.

Case in point, when I sat down this evening to write this blog entry, I had no idea what I was going to write about.

And it turns out I am writing a blog entry about writing a blog entry.  Who knew??

This "forced writing" concept was put in my mind after reading a recent interview with Paul McCartney.  He said he tries to write a song everyday, even if he has no idea what he's going to write.  It doesn't have to be a rock song, it can be something cheesy, like a show tune or a folk song (McCartney can do it all), but at least it's a song.  It doesn't have to be a hit and it might never even be recorded, but he tries to write something - anything - everyday. 

And every now and then BINGO! something comes out of you that you didn't even know was there.

That's good advice.

Speaking of Beatles-related stuff, I finally got to watch Martin Scorsese's extraordinary documentary on George Harrison, Living in the Material World.  It was very well done and packed with footage and interviews I had never seen before. 

A very interesting side note, Beth's Aunt Suzette met George Harrison a number of times.  He used to come into her book store in Hawaii and quietly look through old books and buy the ones he found interesting.  She said he was always very kind and down-to-earth. 

Of course, she told this story to me very calmly and matter-of-factly, while the whole time I'm thinking, "Holy shit, you KNEW George??!!"

I would have scared the poor man away.

I have that effect on people.

And that hereby ends this particular web log.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!