I Remember, Do You?


It started with a few flakes, but by nightfall it was the heaviest snowfall I've ever seen in my life.

And it was 20 years ago today.

Yes, 20 years ago today Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play I experienced the biggest blizzard of my life (so far).  The Halloween blizzard of '91.  It was one for the ages.

I was 22 years old then.  And I had work ethic back then, I'll tell you.  I was living in St. Francis, MN, in an apartment complex.  It was my senior year at the University of Minnesota.  I worked for the U of M Food Services, and my main job was running a little coffee shop Monday through Friday.  I had to open the shop early morning on November 1st.

Yes, I actually attempted to drive the 40 miles to Minneapolis to do my job.

I didn't make it out of the apartment parking lot, though.

I remember waking up in the middle of the night and looking out the living room window and I couldn't believe how hard it was snowing.  I set my alarm an hour earlier to give myself more time to get to work.

That morning, well before daylight, I remember attempting to get to my garage, wading through heavy snow that was mid-thigh on me (I am 6'1").

I remember thinking, "I'm never going to make it to work."

I actually shoveled out the front of my garage, only to shake my head at nearly two feet of snow that packed the rest of the parking lot.

I was right, I didn't make it to work.

In fact, that winter of 1991-1992, St. Francis, MN set the state record for the most snowfall in one location: 53.52 inches.  And I was right there in the middle of it.

And it all started 20 years ago today.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!