A Leap of Faith

I am a cynical person.  Or perhaps skeptical is a better description?

Regardless, I do not trust easily.  I do not readily embrace the unfamiliar.  I am leery; always suspicious of the sincerity in almost anything.

I'm not saying this is a healthy attitude and I'm not saying I'm proud of it.  It's just how I am.

So no one surprised me more than me when I decided to buy Paul McCartney tickets back in April and I was presented with the unknown.  Uncharacteristically, I took a leap of faith.

Since I am a member of McCartney's fan club, I was able to get an early pre-sale of the concert in Fargo.  I went to McCartney.com and sure enough, I quickly grabbed terrific seats.  But when I went to purchase the tickets, I was redirected to a web site which I had never heard of before: Crowd Surge.

Immediately the skeptic in me said, "Whoa, wait a minute.  What is this?"  Was I redirected to some rogue site looking to steal my credit card number?  Was this some slick way to steal my identity?

Worse yet, I was on the clock.  My tickets would only be held for a few minutes.  I had to crap or get off the pot, so to speak.

I did the quickest research of my life, opening a new tab in my browser and Googling "better business bureau" and "Crowd Surge" together.  I got a favorable response; but it was only response I had to go on.

But this was Paul McCartney.  Sir Paul McCartney!  My all-time hero.

Screw it.  I held my breath and clicked "Purchase."  I took the leap.

Then the wait began.  And I continued to hold my breath.

It turns out (unbeknownst to me) that Crowd Surge is located in the United Kingdom ("Oh, that's just great!" I sarcastically said to myself).   Because of this, Crowd Surge issues concert tickets like they do in the UK: you do not get your tickets months in advance.  They wait a couple of weeks before the show, then distribute them ("You have GOT to be sh*tting me!" I yelled at myself).

The rationale for sending out tickets so late is to keep scalping and reselling tickets to a minimum.  I can understand that.

But talk about chewing one's nails to the quick if you just want your tickets!

It goes without saying that I finally stopped holding my breath (I was a considerable shade of blue by this point) when I got these in the mail today, 13 days before the show:



So write it down, Skeptical Sam took a leap of faith and it paid off.  Crowd Surge is the real deal and they came through.

Unless, you know, these damn things are counterfeit.

Guess I will find out July 12th.

OMG... what if they are counterfeit??





Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!