Training Wheels

Sometimes you just have to take off the training wheels.

Literally.

One of the goals of summer 2014 was to free the Girl of the bondage of training wheels.  And for a while, I didn't think it was going to happen.

Back in May, the Girl decided it would be a good idea to wait until her "half birthday" (six months after her birthday), which would be in August.

That was fine, said I.  We'll do it when you're ready.  But once the training wheels come off, they aren't going back on.

That was the deal.

So yesterday, the Girl and I enjoyed a "father/daughter" day.  We went to Applebee's (her favorite restaurant) for lunch and spent some quality time together.

The Girl and her dad at Applebee's, 14 July 2014

After a feast of mozzarella sticks and cheeseburgers (and a blue ribbon brownie, of course) we waddled home.  Soon, the Girl decided she wanted to ride her bike and she asked me to help her.

I told her she really didn't need my help.  She had training wheels.

"The only way you're going to learn and the only way I can help you," I told her, "is to take the training wheels off."

To my utter disbelief, she exclaimed, "Okay!  Let's do it!"

Before she could change her mind, those wheels were off in under 30 seconds.

Auf Wiedersehen, baby.
They weren't going back on.

So there we were in the rain on a Monday afternoon.  Trying, trying, trying again.  The limits of my patience (not exactly known to stretch to infinity and beyond) were tested.

But in about 45 minutes, that magic moment happened.  I followed along as she carefully balanced on two tires.

And she giggled and giggled and giggled as she rode... until she fell off her bike with a crash.  In the trees.  In the rain.

But she did it!

It was a proud dad moment.

Steady as she goes, with no more training wheels...

Day two on two wheels was much easier.

In other news, five years ago today I was walking on air.  My first (and only) son came into the world...  Happy Birthday, buddy!


The Boy on his fifth birthday, July 15, 2014

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!