Night Owl

It's getting late... er, actually it is quite early. I need to go to bed soon. Not much happening in my part of the world. I managed to get my lawn mowed today even though the sky looked rather menacing all day. I still need to trim, I hope to get that done in the morning if it isn't raining. Speaking of.... when Beth got home, we put the little one to bed, then went out to the backyard and I made a cozy campfire. Sure enough, it decided to rain. But we toughed it out, got rained on... but it was kind of fun, too. There we were, sitting in the rain, drinking from our bottles of Michelob, listening to the sizzle of rain drops hitting the coals.
We watched The Last King of Scotland last night. Wow, what an amazing film. Forest Whitaker won Best Actor for his portrayal of Idi Amin, and most deservedly so. He was simply incredible. What an actor. James McAvoy, who I had never heard of before seeing this movie, did an outstanding job in his portrayal of Dr. Garrigan, Amin's personal doctor. The movie was incredibly well-directed by Kevin MacDonald, well edited, fantastically acted, had a great soundtrack and was chock full of symbolism, although much of it was quite covert and you really had to look for it, but it was definitely there. In short, I would give the film 5 out of 5 stars, and I don't do that very often (I think the last film I gave that high of a grade to was Ray). Best of all, at least for me, is The Last King of Scotland was based on real life historical events and real people. In essence, a true story. It was one of those movies where once the end credits started rolling, I said to myself, "Wow!" It gave me about the same feeling as I get when I finish the last page of a great novel. I felt like I really went on a journey, and sort of felt mentally exhausted at the end. This was truly a remarkable film.
Okay, I just had to share that with you. Got to go to bed. The dogs are laying on the couch butt-to-butt, snoring like drunken sailors and I can hear rain falling on the roof. The combination is making me sleepy, so I will sign off till next time.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!