That time of year

The football season has officially kicked off, so I have been a bit preoccupied. Like my wife says, "Due to the start of football season, life as we know it has ceased." That's pretty much true at 13266 Norway Drive. Last weekend I had my two fantasy football drafts, but it takes a lot out of me. I'm not the young stud I once was and two late nights, a dozen cigars and 24 gallons of beer later, I am ready for some detox time.

Actually, I took vacation last night because it was the kick-off Monday night double-header and I watched the pathetic Vikings game. It was a good thing I did not go to work, because I was in a very foul mood after that game. Tonight, much to my pleasant surprise, I was called to stay home on-call at around 9:30 p.m. I think the last time I got to stay home on-call was over a year ago. I usually work charge nurse, so I am not able to stay home, so I take advantage of it the rare times I can.

Of course, I slept in late today and took a nap tonight (the first night back is a brute), so now I am wide awake and ready to go. I suppose I will be up most of the night, but I will call work to see if there's any chance I'll get called before I lay down later. There's nothing worse than crawling under the cool sheets, ready for sleep and then the damn phone rings telling you it's time to go to work. Still, it is time-and-a-half if I get called in, so that would be alright.

So tonight I guess I will watch a couple old movies on Turner Movie Classics. I would start reading a book, but I don't want to get into something only to be interrupted. I can leave the middle of a movie, but not a book.

In other news, Beth and I also started working on our backyard over the last couple weeks. We are giving our yard a facelift and it will be a challenge to get it done before it gets cold and the snow flies. I guess there's no real hurry, and I don't want to make a rush-job of it. If we have to wait until spring to finish it, so be it.

Still, I would like to get most of it done if I can, and that's on my long "to do" list next week when I am off. I also need to mow the lawn, go out to the farm and mow that, plus pick up my drums, and finish up a few other projects that need to get done before winter. Before winter! It feels like summer just started and we're already getting ready for winter. I can't believe it.

Well, that's my update for now. I'll write more later.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!