A little bit of everything

Finally a few days off and I'm going to enjoy 'em as much as I can. I got up early (5 a.m.) and brewed me some coffee and went out to the sin shack (my garage) to enjoy an Iguana and listen to the nothingness of early morning at my house. My favorite time of day. Just me, Juan Valdez and my little green friend from the Dominican Republic. Hmmm, I guess you could say it was a Latin American celebration.

I should have made the Latin American theme complete and put Freddy Fender on the stereo... yeah, then I would have been perfectly miserable. Is there a shittier song than "Vaya con Dios"? I think not. You know that song... "Now the dawn is breaking through a gray tomorrow/But the memories we share are there to borrow/Vaya con Dios my darling..."

Good God, my dogs are howling and all I'm doing is thinking about the song. Please kick me in the head for knowing the horrendous words to that song. I feel like I've polluted myself.

Let's see, I've no idea where I was going with this. It started out as a pleasant morning with coffee and a cigar, and now I have the ghost of the dreadful Freddy Fender dancing in my head (R.I.P., Freddy. I'm sure you were a good bloke, but your music sucked. Hey, I'm just being brutally honest here.)

~

Okay, I just washed my hands and I feel slightly better now.

So here sit in my cluttered living room. The floor is impassable. There are princess dresses strewn about. A couple of stuffed toy gray squirrels are piled in the corner and appear to be mating (hey, if you could see them, you'd agree). Pieces of plastic fruits and vegetables cover the carpet, which is balanced out with a flat basketball, three Dr. Suess books, four plastic fairies, and an assorted variety of necklaces, bracelets and tiaras. In other words, it's a typical mess.

I'm listening to my favorite radio station (the only oldies station in the area) and Otis Redding is serenading me with "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay." I read once that Redding recorded this song just three days before he died and it wasn't released as a single until well after his death. One thing that a lot of people don't know about Redding is that he wrote his own music, which was not very common at the time (the wonderful Sam Cooke also wrote his own material). In fact, Otis gave away the best song he ever wrote because he thought Aretha Franklin could make it groove better than he could. The name of the song was "Respect." The Queen of Soul peeled the paint off the walls on that track. Redding's hunch was right.

Redding died in 1967 in a plane crash in Madison, Wisconsin. He was just 26 years old. What a shame.

I guess this will end your music history lesson for today. I'm sure there will be more where that came from in the future.

Man, what a scattered entry this has been.

Oh, one more thing. Yesterday morning I stopped to get milk on my way home from work and I couldn't resist visiting the bakery section of the super market (I mean, who can?! Good Lord, people, I'm just a man... mere flesh and blood... I have needs and desires... and warm, fresh-baked pastries... oh, man... I can resist anything but temptation). Anyway, I brought home pudding-filled, chocolate covered long johns, and...



...Ava's dad was a rock star Monday morning!

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!