The week ends, the week begins


Another weekend is over, a new week has begun and the wheel of time just keeps spinning.

I haven't updated my blog for a while. Our activity stepped up a bit this week, so I wasn't able to sit at the computer for any length of time. Besides that, if I update too often, the raw truth will reveal itself: I really don't have anything better to do. Then I'll get all the cat-calls "Must be nice to have that much time..." blah, blah, blah. So I try to space the entries out to make it appear as if I am as busy as everyone else.

So what's been happening lately? We had a fairly busy week.

Last Thursday we went to the nursing home in New York Mills to visit Beth's grandpa. He had a bout with an upper respiratory bug which landed him in the hospital and he then had to go to the nursing home in New York Mills to rehab his way back to (hopefully) living independently again. I thought he looked good and when we got there he was working with physical therapy, walking in the halls. He was very surprised and happy to see us and I do think it meant a lot to him that we came. In fact, he asked, "Did you come all the way here just to see me?" Well, of course we did!

Beth and I both worked in nursing homes early in our careers and we know what incredibly lonely places they can be -- especially when you are 90 years old and your mind works just fine, but your body doesn't, which is Grandpa P's situation. The nursing home itself actually seemed quite nice, the staff were very friendly and the residents looked to be well cared for. Remember, this comes from someone who has seen the "underbelly" of institutions like this, and I was pretty impressed.

Anyway, the weekend came and went way too fast. Bob, Kathy, Dale and Marilyn all came on Saturday and stayed until Sunday. John and Becky Walker came over Saturday night for dinner. We had good food, a good visit and good drinks. I think we solved a few of the world's problems -- now if people were just wise enough to listen to us! But our time together just went by so fast. Everyone was gone by early Sunday afternoon, and it was over before we knew it.

And now it's Monday.

Our next big event is seeing the Eagles at the Fargodome on March 15th. Speaking of that, Beth and I had a scare yesterday.

After everyone went home Sunday, I sat down in my chair and turned on the t.v. For whatever reason, started thinking about the Eagles concert. Then I realized that I hadn't seen those tickets for a long time, so I asked Beth, "Where are those Eagles tickets?" She said they were locked in our fire box. This sounded as reasonable as could be, but I had this strange feeling that I needed to see them to be sure. So I unlocked the fire box and I found myself wishing I saw the tickets staring back at me. But they weren't there. I dumped everything out of that box, but no tickets.

Pardon my French, but the proper expression at this juncture was "OH SHIT!"

Thus began about 20 minutes of sheer panic, the two of us tearing the house apart, basically looking for a needle in a haystack, with Ava following us around asking, "What happened? What's wrong?" Beth finally found them at the bottom of a letter organizer, under a bunch of papers, pamphlets and old bills. You want to talk about breathing a sigh of relief!!! I still don't remember putting them there (I am sure I was the guilty party) or why I was so careless with them in the first place. I suppose I got sidetracked or something... but it's very worrisome that I could be that dumb.

I think I am losing it -- assuming I had "it" in the first place.

Anyway, we were glad we had our little wave of panic yesterday, rather than the day of the concert. Suffice it to say the tickets are now in a safe place and they will stay there until March 15th.

I guess this has been a pretty boring entry, but that pretty much brings things up to date for now. I suppose I should get a few chores done around here and make it look like I did something today.

Tah-tah for now.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

Is Spring Here?