The day after

The house is pretty empty this morning. I'm the only one awake, brewing my usual pot of morning coffee and Martha would have been in the kitchen keeping me company, licking my feet and just generally being annoying in her lovable way.

I've had a day to decompress and reflect. Thank you for your thoughts, although I posted Martha's pictures more for my own benefit than to solicit sympathy from anyone. Still, it was nice to hear from you.

I won't got into the details, but Martha's condition quickly deteriorated over the last week or so and yesterday morning I reached a moment of sad recognition that it was simply cruel to my dog to keep fighting this fucking disease, and she deserved to go out with dignity. The decision was quick -- if you call thinking about it for the past year as "quick" -- and she was in the vet's office within 25 minutes after that heartbreaking decision was made. I have nothing but high praise for the people at Lakeland Veterinary Hospital.

If I learned anything from my dog, it would be to treat everyday like it is Christmas morning. Anyone who met Martha knows she was as happy-go-lucky as could possibly be. She loved to run laps in the yard and chase frisbees and chipmunks. She was the most beautiful, "athletic" dog I had ever seen. But over the past year, as her physical condition began to break down, she got to the point where she could no longer run. Then she could not walk without help. In the end, she could not relieve herself without help. Yet she never lost that sparkle in her eye telling me that she was happy to be here. Until yesterday.

It was a horrible decision to make, choosing life or death for this animal you've spent so much time with, who had been faithful to you through thick and thin over the years. I considered her an old friend -- and I could care less if that sounds stupid or sappy. Saying goodbye was agonizing, but watching her struggle everyday was even harder.

However, the sun rose again this morning and life continues. We're very sad still today, but everything will be fine as the days progress.

You know... I am sure that all dogs run in heaven. And I bet Martha is running rings around everyone else. That puts a smile on my face.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!