A return to normalcy

We are home, looking forward to sleeping in our own bed tonight. We spent a long weekend (Friday - Monday) at the Dau farm near New York Mills, our annual summer gathering with Beth's family. Lots of good food, plenty of cold beer, a few genuine Cuban cigars and some nice conversation made for a relaxing weekend. The cousins played like crazy. If one word can describe the weekend, however, it would be "windy." We also got over an inch of rain Friday night and I can happily report our camper, on its first outing this summer, passed the "waterproof" test.

It was good to get away from the house this weekend. We brought Grace camping with us and she is about the most laid back, low maintenance dog you will ever meet, but you could tell she was missing her life-long best friend, too. I admit we are all still adjusting to life without our Martha. It just seems so strange to open the door and her happy, smiling face isn't there to greet us. After eight years, it was easy to take her for granted and now she's gone. Another valuable lesson learned from my dog: Never take anything for granted, especially things you love.

Over the weekend we got a very nice card from Lakeland, signed by some of the staff and Martha's doctor. Each wrote a quick note of condolence and mentioned what a special dog she was. Now, I'm smart enough to know they do this with all clients who have a pet euthanized, but it was very touching to receive something personalized. We didn't feel like just another "case," even though I know we were. Again, we have nothing but the highest praise for those people.

It's back to work tomorrow night and a return to normalcy. It will be a long day. I have an all-day class at the hospital starting at 8:00 AM, then I work the night shift. I guess if you're looking for me, you'll know where to find me, huh?


Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!