Cute Kids and Dead Dogs

The ol' "conversion" is not going so smoothly this week.  Working seven consecutive night shifts has its drawbacks and I am experiencing them right now.  I went to bed at 10 PM after not much sleep the night before, thinking I should be able to sleep all night -- but I guess half the night isn't bad.  Woke up at 3:30 AM, wide awake.  Damn it.  There's no reason for it.  I avoided caffeine, didn't nap -- some times I am able to sleep all night the first night and get right back to a day schedule....

and some times this crap happens.

Worst of all, Beth has to leave before 7 AM, will be gone all morning, then has an inservice this afternoon.  In other words, a nap today is out of the question and sleeping in later this morning is out of the question.

I'll look on the bright side; I'm sure some people keep this schedule all the time: to bed at 10 AM, up at 3:30 AM to start the day.  That would suck like a Kirby, but I'm sure it's true.

I guess some times I need to express the sacrifices I make for the good of my wife and children whine.

Since I'm the only person awake in my neighborhood right now, I guess this is a good time to update my blog.  The only problem, if you can call it that, is there isn't much to update.  No news is good news as they say.

We did watch some old homemade videos last night.  That was fun.  Ava just loved it.  It inspired me to used my video camera more.  I hadn't used it in a year.  Watching Ava when she was just 8 months old, then 18 months old, it was just fun to see her again at that age and remember how cute she was (she still is cute, but you know what I mean!).

There was also old footage of our Martha and it made me happy to see her again when she could walk -- and it made me realize that when we made the decision to end her life it was the right call, no matter how difficult it was.  She was so happy in those videos and she was so sad in the end.  Seeing her happy and healthy again restored my memory of her as the dog she once was, not the dog she became.

So when it's four in the morning, is it normal to reminisce about dead dogs and cute kids?

I guess in my world it is.

Okay, on to another subject.  Last Friday night we went over to John and Becky's for a fish fry.  It was fun to see them and visit again.  Great fish, homemade fries and onion rings; we are going to get together again for pizza this Friday night.  Beth is having a big garage sale on Friday (our garage is in complete chaos at the moment); Becky is having a sale too (we live across the street from each other).  So after the day ends we are going to have a little feast.  It won't be as good as fried sunfish, but it will be edible!

Not much else to gab about at this time of day.  It sure is quiet -- just an occasional train rolls by in the distance.  Perhaps a cup of coffee and an Iguana are calling my name? 

Hmmmm... trains, cigars and coffee at four in the morning.  Sounds like a Johnny Cash song.

That's my life at 4:00 AM.

~

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!