Last Show, First Rehearsal

Let's see, a few things to write about in my web log... Yesterday, May 1st, was Bethany's birthday. I think she's 31 now, or something like that. We had a little celebration yesterday morning with an Ava-made card and presents, She got a digital photo frame and a CD, Sam Cooke's Greatest Hits. I think she was happy. I also made a cake; double chocolate with caramel drizzle, topped off with whipped cream frosting and mini-chocolate chips. I made it up along the way, but it turned out pretty tasty.

I was on the road by 10 a.m. yesterday, heading for Bertha, where Brian and I rehearsed with the senior high concert band at 11:15 a.m. Our former high school band instructor, Ken Nelson, is retiring this year and Thursday night was his last concert. We were honored that he invited us back one last time. After rehearsal we came back to Brainerd for the afternoon, then met Scott and Ann at Pizza Ranch in Wadena, where they treated us to supper that evening before the show.

Brian and I sort of "roasted" ol' Nelson before we performed and he was a good sport about it. It was a great concert and there was a video tribute toward the end -- 30 years of teaching music packed into about 20 minutes -- and I did spy myself a couple of times when I was much younger, skinnier and had WAAAYYY more hair (weren't the '80's wonderful?!). There were a lot of alumni there (which tells you something about Ken as a person) and I saw a few long lost classmates I hadn't seen in years and several teachers I haven't visited with in a long while. By the time we finished talking to everyone and hit the road, we didn't get home until almost 11:30 p.m., but finished a good night with a couple of cold beers.

That brings us to today, May 2nd. This was one of the darkest days of my life 18 years ago, when my mom died so unexpectedly. However, today was much different. I spent the day making music with Brian and my two brothers, our first vocal rehearsal for Farm Fest V, and I am willing to bet Mom was looking down with a big smile on her face. Bob and Dale got here about 10 a.m. and we ran through some new stuff on acoustic guitar for the first 90 minutes, then went out to the garage to review all of the vocal parts. Things fell back together surprisingly fast and other than stumbling over a few chord progressions (nothing a little WD-40 can't fix), I would say it went extremely well. Farm Fest is still three months away, but I am afraid this summer is going to fly by to fast, it will be August before we know it.

Anyway, we rehearsed until 6 p.m., taking a quick break for lunch (where my wife out-did herself again, but it was delicious and very much appreciated) and I think we all felt really good about things. Farm Fest V, here we come! Well, soon enough.

I am tired. Believe it or not, but rehearsing all day is mentally exhausting. Your brain is processing a thousand things at once, and then after you run through a song you have remember what you did until next time. In this case, "next time" is three months away. Our next rehearsal won't be until early August.

Tomorrow is Saturday and we have no plans. That is music to my ears.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!