Fishing opener

My girls are home and I am settled back into my normal routine, which suits me just fine. Ava is down for a nap now and Beth just left for work. It is the weekend, but it isn't just an ordinary weekend: it is fishing opener. Even the governor will be in the neighborhood. Hooray. I can hardly contain my enthusiasm. This means that the weekend at work will be a sprint to Sunday, meaning that it can't possibly be over soon enough.

Yes, fishing opener means the good folks from the Twin Cities come "up north" to "the cabin" after watching KARE 11's condescending and belittling "Cabin Cast" forecast on Thursday (complete with jangling banjos as background music).

"Up north" means the normal laws of gravity and rules of common sense no longer apply. It is time to get drunk, be stupid and complain about paying taxes on your cabin even though you don't live here. I hear it every year. I also hear "I wasn't expecting to be in the hospital this weekend" every year during fishing opener too. (Gee, I don't know why jumping off the roof of your cabin made you think your landing would be soft... but yeah, rapid deceleration breaks bones "up north" just like it does down at your townhouse in Edina -- and it is amazing how brave Jack Daniels can make you). That was a true story from last year, by the way.

My friend Korey, who works primarily in ER, says he celebrates stupid people because they pay for his mortgage. I think I need to subscribe to that philosophy.

I suppose this makes me sounds like an uncaring person, but that isn't necessarily true. I think it is true that I've done this long enough (10 years in intensive care) where I find myself rolling my eyes and shaking my head more and more. I have a hard time tolerating people who do incredibly stupid things and then have the balls to complain that they are "stuck" in the hospital. Oh the things I wish I could say to people without running the risk of getting canned. Stacy left a comment about nurses being special people... I'm not sure about that. But we do see things that non-medical folks would have a very hard time believing. Put it this way: if you can think it, it has happened. Probably twice.

Okay, enough. Not sure why I went off on that rant. It's probably job burn-out. I'd rather be camping and drinking beer this weekend. And being stupid.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!