Adventures in iTunes

I got my computer back today.  I had a virus and 36 items of malware attached to my hard drive, which damaged part of my operating system.  McAfee did a superb job of protecting me, didn't it?  I'll never, ever use that company or any of its products again.

James (from Scotland) at Brainerd Computers had to repair my operating system.  When I got my laptop back, things seemed to be running okay although I could not get iTunes to work (which is a BIG deal to me!).

I had to call James back and he walked me through a few things that didn't work and he finally said, "We're probably dealing with a corrupt file, which would not be uncommon after repairing your operating system.  Just uninstall iTunes, go to the Apple web site and install a new iTunes program.  That should get rid of your corrupt file and fix things."

My heart sank.  I have almost 2,000 songs on iTunes.  I couldn't imagine putting all of that music back on, one song at a time.  But James told me not to worry.  "Don't worry, mate," he said.  "Your songs are MP3 files which are already on your hard drive.  iTunes is just a vehicle for them to play on, you won't lose anything."

This was news to me.

In my experience, this guy has always known what he was talking about, so I held my breath, went to iTunes and clicked "uninstall."  Poof!  It was gone.  But sure enough, I installed a brand new program and everything loaded right back into place.  Whew.

The impressive part is James called back a couple hours later just to see if everything went alright.  I was very impressed that he would follow up like that.  The guy knows how to take care of his customers.

So here I am at my laptop, which has gone through the ringer the last few weeks.  My New Year's resolution is to be kinder and gentler to my poor computer.

In other news, Grace has surgery on her eye at 8:30 tomorrow morning.  In two weeks she'll have surgery on the other eye.  I sure hope this works.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!