What's in a Song?

Like any parent, I am amazed by my kids.  Today was one of those "amazing moments." 

I was listening to Billy Joel today - which is a pretty good thing to do on just about any day - and the song "Goodnight Saigon"  started playing.  My daughter was running around like a lunatic and suddenly stopped when she heard the helicopter introduction. 

I watched her as she stood at the dining room window, staring at the snow outside while quietly listening to the song.  After a few minutes, I was shocked when she looked at me and said, "Daddy, this is a very sad song."

She turns four on Tuesday; she's far too young to grasp the depth and meaning of the lyrics (which, like every Billy Joel song, are fantastic).  I can only guess she sensed the sadness in the melody. I was pretty impressed.

I'm assuming everyone knows the song I'm talking about.  Billy Joel wrote it in 1982 for his friends who went to Vietnam.  It's considered one of his classics and it's a staple at every live show.

I found this video of the song on YouTube.  It is extraordinarily well put together.  If you haven't heard the song before, this is an excellent introduction to it.  The lyrics are nothing less than poetry.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!