A Sad Couple of Weeks

Boy, it has been a rough couple of weeks.  Swede Stokes passed away on February 19th.  Swede was one of the "good ones."  He was an old family friend and a great friend of my dad's.  They spent many hours together solving the world's problems, playing cards, drinking Grain Belt... he was a man dear to my heart.  And his youngest son happens to be my son's godfather.

Click here to view a five minute slideshow celebrating Swede's life.  It is very well done and well worth your time if you knew the man we all knew as "Swede."

<<>>



<<>>


And more sad news.  Yesterday, my mom's sister, Glenice ("Tissy" as she will always be known to me), lost her long and fiercely fought battle with cancer.  She was the toughest woman I've ever known.  She was knocked down many times, and got up every time to fight some more.  She never complained.  She never felt sorry for herself.  

Eventually, though, the fucking cancer did what it was determined to do.  She lost the battle, but she won the war.  She will always be remembered as a fighter and an inspiration.  No cancer can kill that.

I can find peace in knowing she's with her husband and her parents again.  And especially with my mom, who also left this world far too soon.

I've been thinking of this song ever since I heard the news that Tissy passed away.  It was written by Dave Matthews and I've always thought it was the most beautiful song I've ever heard, and I think I've posted it here before, but it is even more meaningful and more poignant today.  

For my aunts Sandy, Bev and Jo... 

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!