Ava the Diva

We went to Sears this morning and got Ava's two year old pictures taken. I've come down with a cold, sore throat and congested chest and I didn't really feel much like getting out of bed, but this only happens once, so I went along.

Ava was so good during the photo session. She listened to the photographer's instructions, smiled when she was supposed to, sat still when she was told to and I was so proud of her. We got through the photo shoot just fine and we got some great pictures. It went so well, even the photographer said, "She listens so well; this is easy!" Oops, shouldn't have said that.

Call it the calm before the storm, because then came the meltdown. No, it was more like a nuclear meltdown.

When it was time to go, Ava clearly had other plans and she threw a diva-type tantrum that would have made Elton John proud. It was one of those I-am-two-years-old-and-I-am-pissed-off-at-the-world type of tantrums, complete with kicking, hitting, and throwing oneself down spread-eagle on the floor... right there in the mall, in front of God and everybody. I was expecting someone to call the police. If Ava knew how to say "Help me! Stop this bad man! This isn't my daddy!" she would have done it.

The tantrum continued in the car and all the way home. The whole time I kept thinking, is this the same child that just behaved like an angel for the photographer?

The tantrum finally ended after we got home and she was placed in solitary confinement for 10 minutes.

The moral of this story? Things are not always what they seem, especially in the world of a two year-old diva.

The other moral of this story? The next time you see a toddler throwing a tantrum in public, remember these words before jumping to conclusions about parent: "Judge not lest ye be judged."

Amen.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!