It's bad for you!

It has been a few days since I've posted anything. I guess there's not much to write about at the moment. Ava has come down with another cold, although yesterday she sounded better. She is still sleeping right now, but I expect to hear her babbling any minute. I've had a cough for two weeks, but it is slowly getting better. This crud has hung on for a long time. I will be glad to be rid of it for good.

I got up at 4:30 a.m. to see Beth off to work. I wasn't planning on getting up quite that early, but I woke up and just laid there staring at the ceiling. I took a walk around the yard (at least the parts not covered in snow) in the early morning light, before sunrise. It was nice enough to wear a jacket with shorts and sandals, even at 6 a.m. I could hear our cardinals singing and the pileated woodpecker doing his dinosaur screech. If it wasn't for the trains roaring by and the traffic on 210, I would have believed I was lost in the woods somewhere. A few fleeting moments of peace, but it was a whole lot better than nothing.

This morning I read an article on CNN's web site about a study which now suggests that taking vitamins and antioxidants may actually increase mortality, rather than reduce it. I just laughed out loud. This year's life saver is next year's killer. I think the best path to an enjoyable life is not to listen to the experts, because they think too damn much. Eggs were bad for you. Then they were good for you. Coffee was bad for you. Then it was good for you. At last check, it was bad for you again. Chocolate could be good for you, but it might be bad for you. Red meat was bad for you. Then lean red meat was good for you, as long as you didn't eat too much of it. Alcohol might be okay, but not too much, and don't start drinking it if you normally don't drink it anyway, because it might do more harm than good. Water was good for you, but now we're drinking too much of it and causing other health problems.

Does anyone really know for sure? No. My theory is that anything in moderation is okay. Everything in excess is bad. And with that, I'm going to whip up some bacon, sausage, eggs, toast and good, strong, black Finnish coffee and fly my middle finger to the FDA, the USDA, the CNPP and any other government sponsored organization I can think of that makes me feel guilty for enjoying my breakfast.

It's going to be a good day.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!