More Snow?

It has been a while since I've dropped a line. Not much happening recently, which is fine by me. They say we are supposed to get pummeled by another snow storm tonight. The snow we got last weekend has already melted and much of our backyard is bare. Really, I don't think the weatherman knows what to expect in the coming 24 hours. I've heard "blizzard conditions" with 50 mph winds and over a foot of snow. Then I've heard 5-8 inches of snow expected, depending on the temperature... it could all be rain. Seems like the only thing they are sure of is that it isn't going to be 80 degrees and sunny.

Beth and Ava are in Mills right now visiting Grandma. I'm sitting here alone listening to Van Halen (Van Hagar, actually) and watching a black & white grade B flick from 1963 called Hootenanny Hoot, with the sound turned down on the t.v. I can't really tell what the movie is about, but it's fairly clear that it is pretty stupid. The house is way too quiet without my little monster. Hope they come home soon!

I think I am probably being a pain in the butt at work, but certain things drive me insane. Spelling words incorrectly is one of those things. Bear with me as I tell this story: All of our MD orders at work are computerized and one of my many jobs is to enter those orders into our computer system when a patient is admitted. Recently, our diet orders have changed terminology. What used to be a diabetic diet (ADA diet, or American Diabetic Association) is now called a 'consistent carbohydrate' diet.

I don't know why they made this change, but the point here is when they programmed 'consistent carbohydrate' in the computer, the word was spelled, "CONSISTANT". Folks, the word consistent is a third or fourth grade spelling word. Plus, orders put in the computer are considered legal medical documents, so I sent the head of our Information Technology department an e-mail, expressing my disgust to her and insisted that a word as simple as 'consistent' be spelled correctly. I refuse to lower my expectations. "Close enough" isn't acceptable when it comes to spelling, especially in this situation.

Here's my recommendation: If you don't know how to spell the word, use spell check or look the damn thing up in something called a dictionary: it's been around for years and it works well. And don't tell me, "just because you're a good speller doesn't mean everyone else is." Those are fighting words to me! I'm a good speller because I studied and learned how to spell. If I don't know how to spell something, I look it up. I don't guess. My dad pounded that into my head when I was young and I am grateful for it. It is something I would strongly encourage others to do, especially those programming legal medical documents in computer systems.

Man, I'm a grumpy old bastard, aren't I?

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!