Adventures of Phone Lady

I just realized it is April Fool's Day.  I haven't been duped yet, but it is early.

Something happened yesterday that I just have to comment on.  Technology is a good thing; I like my Blackberry.  I enjoy the ability to text or call my wife or friends anywhere at anytime.  I enjoy the ability to go on the internet anywhere at anytime.  I enjoy to ability to share photos with anyone at anytime.

But yesterday I witnessed what I could only call an obsession.  Or perhaps addiction is the better word?

I took a class yesterday; the second of three eight hour classes we are required to take for work.  We are learning a new and rather complex electronic charting program.  We cover a lot of information at a very quick pace.  You need to pay attention.

I sat next to a gal who had an iPhone.  And she could not put it down.  She could not leave it alone.  I was simply astounded.  I fact, I was nearly distracted by her because she was so distracted by her phone.

She had it sitting next to her and she checked it every three to five minutes.  I even timed her.  She checked for texts, checked Facebook (I saw the Facebook logo on her screen), checked God-knows-what else.

Then she put the phone down, messed with her computer for a few minutes (pretending not to be lost) then back to the phone - pecking at the touch screen with her fingernail - check this, check that.

Put it down, leans over and looks at my computer screen.  "Where are we?"

My answer, "I don't know."  (Not true, but I'm trying to keep up with the instructor, not there to be her personal tutor).

"This is so confusing," says Phone Lady.  I wonder why?

Picks up her phone.... peck, peck, peck.

It was an uncontrollable compulsion, folks.  A complete, utter obsession.  On breaks, she sat in her chair and played with her phone.  If the phone was diarrhea, she would have crapped her pants in the first 10 minutes of class.

I just couldn't believe it.

Honestly, if I was the instructor I would have asked her to please put the phone away.  But the instructors are hired hands and they are there to teach the class.  Whether you retain or learn anything - or whether you pay attention - isn't really their concern.  Their attitude (rightly) is this is for your job.  The assumption is you will want to know how the program works and you will be motivated to learn.

Not Phone Lady.

At the end of the day, I watched Phone Lady walk out of the building and stumbled down a step because she wasn't paying attention to where she was going.

Can you guess why?

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!