Spring? Maybe Not

Poof!  Just like that, there goes another weekend.

It is kinda funny, in my last post I mentioned it was in the 70s and that "spring was officially here".  Since then, we got about a half inch of snow and it hasn't gotten above 50 degrees... or at least it sure hasn't felt like it. 

Most of the snow has since melted, but depending on which forecast you choose to believe, more snow is on the way this week.  It might not hit us, though.  It might go further south and east.  I hope so.  I am ready to open the camper and get on with summertime.

At least one person was happy about the new snow.  Ava making a "snow bunny."

Sandy and Ray stopped by yesterday and gave the kids Easter baskets.  We had coffee, pie and chatted.  It was good to see them and a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.  It sure beat working!

Yesterday was the first time Beth and I had been home together in over a week.  It was nice while it lasted, but now she is back to work.  And I go back to work tonight.  At least we are back on our normal schedule again.  Our computer classes are over and it is nice to get that behind us.  We had to juggle our schedules around, Grandma and Aunt Suzette watched the kids, and each day we had to look at our calendars to see what was happening that particular day.

I know, I know... some people live like this day after day, week after week.  In fact, that's their life.  What's the big deal?  But that ain't living to me.  Yuck.

We've got so much yard work to do.  What a mess.  Now that we are on a normal schedule again, our next goal is to get outside and start raking and picking up.  I am sure I will have to buy a new mower this spring.  Last fall I could not get my old mower to start.  But it has certainly gotten its use - I wouldn't be surprised if it has reached its end. 

Speaking of new mowers, the three of us brothers bought a new mower for the farm too.  Or I should say Dale bought it and we each kicked in 33% to cover the bill. 

I remember when my dad bought the current riding lawn mower for the farm.  In fact, I was just looking through his letters (which I do from time to time when I'm feeling nostalgic - I can hear his voice whenever I read his letters).  He bought the mower on April 13, 1991 at the Coast-To-Coast hardware store in Wadena. 

According to his letter, Dale and my uncle Kenny went with him.  With tax, the mower was $953.  An absolute  FORTUNE to my dad, but he was excited to have one and he definitely deserved one.  That mower has gotten 20 summers of use.  A pretty good investment, I'd say.

I really miss my dad.  He was such a smart, gentle man.  He loved sports, he loved the outdoors (especially keeping track of the weather, which he did daily - pen and paper - for the last two decades of his life), he loved gardening, he loved the occasional beer and cigar, he loved history and statistics and fun facts, he read volume after volume of World Book encyclopedia always learning something new... in other words, I've become a LOT like my old man. 

I'm a lot like my mom too.  And I really like that. 

Sorry, I get so nostalgic this time of year.  Early spring always makes me wish I could go back in time and spend one more day with my folks.  My mom passed away suddenly on May 2, 1990, and I get the same feeling every year.  I guess I will never quite shake it off. 

Well, I don't know how I ventured off on that path, hope you don't mind my babbling. 

I better think about getting my kids something cooking for lunch.  See you next time...

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!