What a game!

I will begin this entry by quoting myself in my last blog:

If the Giants win, they will definitely deserve it, having won all their playoff games on the road, including knocking off both the #1 and #2 overall seeds in their conference, and then defeating a seemingly unbeatable team in the Super Bowl. But I don't think it will happen. Which means it will, because I am usually wrong.

So, I guess this means I sort of predicted the Super Bowl correctly, right? Gee, how well do I know myself? I never get this kind of stuff right, but I never stop trying.

For anyone who watched the Super Bowl yesterday, I think it would be hard to argue that it wasn't one of the best games you've ever seen; not just Super Bowl games, but football games in general. Not only were both teams giving it everything they had for every second of the game, but the game itself was well-coached, well-officiated (I cannot remember one bad call -- and I was stone-cold sober for the entire game!) and it was an absolute nail biter right down to the very last 10 seconds. Heck, even Beth said, "That was a great game!" This was the first Super Bowl, I think, in which brothers have won back-to-back championships; and it is certainly the first Super Bowl in which brothers won back-to-back Super Bowl MVPs. In short, we witnessed a very historical day on Sunday (if you're into that sort of thing). What a great way to end the NFL season. I guess there is still the Pro Bowl, but most of the players originally invited to play in that game now have replacements playing for them. In short, the Pro Bowl is a joke for fans and players. But the NFL tries to squeeze every last penny out of each season. It is a little embarrassing, if you ask me.

So football season is over. There won't be another meaningful game for seven months. Oofdah. Now the withdrawal starts (for those who don't know, football withdrawal -- or "FW" -- consists of shakes, sweats and hallucinations, as well as reckless use of the remote control, as the victim flips through channels on Saturdays, Sundays and Monday nights, frantically looking for something resembling a football game; in severe cases, even a commercial with Peyton Manning will calm the affected person for a few minutes). In order to fend off the terrible effects of FW, I will have to distract myself by reading a few good books that I've had lined up on my book shelf for the last few months. That should do the trick.

Yes, now I enter my winter lull, which I have decided to call my "reading season," so it doesn't sound so damn depressing. There is March Madness to look forward to next month, which is a nice distraction, but it is only a stop gap until the NFL draft in April. And by April, the snow will be melting and camping season will begin soon after that, plus there is Farm Fest to get ready for, which is always fun.... and it will be August before I know it.

I'll post a little something again soon. I am off now for a few days, although I have a few work-related things I've got to do this week. I have a feeling the days will fly by.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!