Tommy Kelly?

[Editor's note: The following is a football discussion, which some readers may find as effective as Ambien or Lunesta]

Starting tonight is one more enjoyable times in the NFL offseason: free agency. It is a fun time to be a Monday morning quarterback and critique each team's moves. But one move has already stupified me. Tonight the Oakland Raiders re-signed someone named Tommy Kelly to the largest contract ever tendered to a defensive tackle: seven years, $50.5 million dollars, including over $18 million in guaranteed money. We're not talking spare change, folks.

A few things you should know:
  1. I follow the NFL closely. I keep up-to-date on the latest NFL news 365 days a year. I guess you could call it my hobby. As a result, I am familiar with nearly every player in the NFL on both offense and defense. I am not saying this impress you, rather to prove I really don't have a life.
  2. I must admit that I've never heard of Tommy Kelly.
  3. After doing a bit of research, I found out that this Tommy Kelly character has never played defensive tackle before! His previous four seasons were played at defensive end. For those of you familiar with football, you know there is a big difference between the two positions.
  4. He played seven games last year before tearing his ACL, thus ending his season. The Raiders are paying a player $50.5 million who is still rehabbing from one of the worst knee injuries a football player can sustain. Amazing.
  5. If anyone doubted the state of Al Davis's senile mind, you may put your doubts to rest.

Maybe I'm just missing the boat here. Maybe Tommy Kelly is the league's best kept secret? One thing is for sure: he has kept a low profile so far!

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!