What days off?

Finally home. I've been busy over the last couple of days. Yesterday I spent the entire day at the hospital getting re-certified in ACLS (advanced cardiovascular life support), which is required every two years for my job. It was just a refresher course and I know the material about as well as a person can know it (I work charge nurse 99.9% of my shifts, so I have to know my head from my ass on this particular subject), but after eight hours of critical thinking and testing, your mind is pretty much numb for the rest of the day, even if you know that material. Glad it is over for another two years.

Then I was up at 6 a.m. this morning and back to the hospital for an inservice on a new piece equipment that we will be using, but I found it to be an immense waste of my time. They showed us a video which we were told would "explain everything," but when you start using words like "anti-nucleotide mediators" and other $50 words I don't understand, my mind starts wandering really fast... How many days until the Bon Jovi concert? Forty days? Wow, so if I was Noah and I was in my ark and it started raining today, it would stop raining on the day we see Bon Jovi. I sure hope our seats are as good as I think they are. I wonder if they will play "Blood on Blood"? I love that song. Before I knew it, the video is over. What were we learning about again? Maybe I have a slight case of ADD? Or maybe I'm just not a morning person? Or maybe the presentation was just poorly planned, and instead of the presenters being lazy and relying on an over-your-head-outside-the-realm-of-your-practice video, perhaps the subject matter should have been presented with a simplified approach, so it was easy to understand from the get-go? I don't know. Still, there's forty days till Bon Jovi!

So when I got home, I brewed a nice, fresh pot of coffee and had myself an Iguana cigar (JFK's personal choice of cigar) out in the garage. There's just nothing more relaxing than that in Sammyland. I thought about a rum and coke, but it was only 10 a.m.

Ava's birthday is Saturday. Two years old. Hard to imagine. The Stokes family and the Kampen family are invited over for supper and birthday cake. I haven't seen Jon for a couple of months; we have some catching up to do. Too bad we don't live closer. (Ha!)

Speaking of Jon, I started reading Mornings on Horseback the other day, a book which he gave to me for my birthday last October. It is a biography about Teddy Roosevelt written by David McCullough, who is one of my favorite history writers. Just like his other books, this one is extremely good.

I guess I will sign off for now. Beth is going to New York Mills this afternoon to a "girl party" with her mom. Ava and I are going to hang out -- maybe we'll go play in the snow when she wakes up from her nap?

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!