Farewell, Fidel

In honor of the record cold that is supposed to be invading us tonight, I thought I would spruce up the site a bit and add the most desolate, depressing winter scene I could find. Man, I am so sick of winter. The funny part is that this has been a typical winter and we just haven't had one for a while. Still, this stinks.

The good news is that four weeks from tonight, yours truly will be on his feet at the Xcel Center shaking his booty to Bon Jovi (there's a visual for you!). I am sure I will talk more about the upcoming show as we get closer. I am getting excited, that's for sure.

Hey, it looks like it is just a matter of time now until I can buy Cuban cigars legally here in the States. Fidel Castro stepped down today, and incredibly, this momentous event was treated as a mere side story in the media -- at least it was on the newscasts that I watched today. Man, the U.S. government has been trying to get rid of this guy for nearly a half a century as he stood alone, marooned on his own little island just 90 miles away from the greatest superpower on the face of the planet, and flew the bird at the U.S. for 49 years, to 10 different presidents. He withstood a U.S.-sponsored invasion of his country, as well as several assassination attempts by the CIA (denied by the government, of course). Even though Castro is a communist, and an "enemy" of the U.S., there is something pretty admirable about him. There's an excellent chance Cuba will now convert to a democracy and refugees floating to freedom wooden rafts will be a thing of the past. Our world continues to change. I wonder what Tico Torres (Bon Jovi's drummer) thinks of this? He was born and raised in Cuba.

Time to go; I just seem to ramble on and on.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!