A story worth sharing

My days off are done. It is Monday which means it is back to work tonight. Mondays are tough. I usually sleep in as late as I can -- typically until about 10 a.m. Then Beth heads off to work at 10:30 a.m. and Ava and I hang out together all day. I then head to work at 10:30 p.m. and get home about 7:30 a.m. the next morning and my head finally hits the pillow at about 8:30 a.m.

All this means I usually have to stay awake for 22 hours on Mondays, which isn't very fun. I usually find myself switching to autopilot and just getting through it. So right now I am on autopilot. So right now I am on autopilot. So right now I am on autopilot. So right now I am on autopilot. So right now I am on autopilot. So right now I am on autopilot. So right now I am on autopilot.

Oops. Sorry. My autopilot got stuck.

I am letting Ava watch Noggin today. She had no t.v. all weekend long, so I am letting her get her fill today. I think she learns a few things watching these Noggin programs. She definitely enjoys them, but I usually don't let her veg in front of the t.v. like this. But, luckily for Ava, it is Monday. And I've got my Monday attitude, which means I am on autopilot, which I've already discussed.

I spent the weekend watching football games, which is always a good thing. I am enjoying these last few weeks because soon there will be no more football until August.

It sounds like it is going to get ridiculously cold this week. We were supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow today and all we got was a dusting. So maybe the weatherman will be as wrong about the temperatures as he was about the snowfall? I doubt it. It seems to me that predicting cold temperatures should be a little easier than accurately predicting snowfall. Maybe not, but that's my guess, of which I have absolutely no scientific basis for thinking.

People seem to be enjoying the blog I am doing about my dad's World War II experience. I am so happy to hear the positive feedback. I did put quite a bit of research into this little project and I am continuing to compile more information each day. I am trying to tell the story through his journal and a few other sources, such as History of the 591st Engineer Boat Regiment, which was written by Dad's commanding officer, Colonel Thomas L. Allen, back in 1978. I nearly forgot I had this book until finding it last week.

I have to share a quick story with you about that book. Sometimes amazing things happen when you do this type of research, and when I was paging through this book I found a folded up piece of yellowed tablet paper. I unfolded it and found Dad's handwriting on it. Written on the paper were the page numbers where Dad's battalion or company was mentioned in the book. It's as if Dad is guiding me through his journey, saying "You can find me here, here and here." Here's a scan of that piece of paper:


I thought it was pretty incredible and it moved me to tears... mostly just to see his handwriting again, but also knowing that he approves of what I'm doing. Put it this way, I don't think it is coincidence.

So I am glad I found something to do with my time during these long winter months, and the bonus is that other people can enjoy it too. I really don't like this time of the year. The weather has no variation, unless "cold" followed by "snow" with a little "bitterly cold" thrown in is considered variation. The sun seems so distant, the shadows are long even at noon and the days are short.

But at least I can spend a part of it with my dad. So can you.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!